(Closed) Name Change

posted 6 years ago in Traditions
Post # 3
196 posts
Blushing bee

I looked into us both changing our names, and at least in CA, it looked pretty convoluted, but that’s always a possible option… many sheets of paperwork later. 🙂

Post # 4
2286 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Central Park

My friend Laura and her husband both kept their names. Their girls too her last name, their boy took his. Just another idea. 

Post # 5
418 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013


In a lot of states (CA included), you now have the option of either party changing their name to the other (wife take husband’s name or husband take wife’s name or a hyphenation of both).

In fact @BriansBride it looks like New York allows for it too (from the Department of Health’s website)

One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the surname by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. The new name must consist of one of the following options:

  • the surname of the other spouse;


  • any former surname of either spouse;


  • a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the premarriage surname or any former surname of each spouse;


  • a combination name separated by a hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the premarriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

The use of this option will provide a record of your change of name. The marriage certificate, containing the new name, if any, is proof that the use of the new name, or the retention of the former name, is lawful. The local Social Security Administration office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification card reflect the name change. There is no charge for this service.

The topic ‘Name Change’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors