(Closed) name change after the wedding?

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

you’re not done changing your name! now you have to bring copies of your marriage license to the dmv, social security, bank, workplace, etc. to get your name changed there too.

Post # 4
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

Everything kitzy says is correct.  On the license you stated what you would like your name to be after the marriage but you have no legally changed it.  You need to get over to Social Security.

Post # 5
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Oh, no – you still have to do all the social security paperwork, new driver’s license, etc. Your marriage license alone does not replace that.

I got married in CA, and my new name is on the license/certificate. But I still had to go to Social Security to change my name on my card, get a new driver’s license, etc. It doesn’t shortcut anything for you by having the new name on the license.

The topic ‘name change after the wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors