(Closed) Name Change + Helath Insurance

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

If you are keeping it a secret maybe you should wait to change your name.  We did the same thing and I waited until we went public before I did the change – it was too complicated otherwise with who knew and what name went where – for example his parents bought us plane tickets and if I had already changed my name I would have had to tell them so the name on the ticket matched my ID. 

Also, are you sure that you can stay on your parent’s insurance if you are married? 

Post # 5
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

The name change is not the issue here.  The issue is with your change in insurance options.  First of all, I believe ladyox is correct that you can not be a dependant on your parents insurance once you are legally married.  Also, if you are planning on going onto your husbands insurance you must do it within 30 days of the legal wedding date.  Otherwise, you will need to wait until the next election period which is ususally the following January. 

If your goal here is to get legally married but not have to actually tell your parents I think you’re out of luck. 

ETA: OK so your mom knows that you are getting legally married.  If that’s the case.. then why don’t you want to change your name with the health insurance company?  I wouldn’t risk it.  If you end up in the ER or even just have to go to your regular doctor and legally your name is Jane Smith but your coverage is under the name Jane Jones.. you will probably get screwed and not be covered.

Post # 6
613 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

@MsAqua: the age 26 thing is only for dependents.  once you are a married, you can no longer be considered your parents dependents.

if you guys are getting married so that you can get in state tuition, you should look into the university’s health care for students.  you cant be legally married and have your name changed with SSA and DMV but still be your parents dependent.

Post # 7
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Your health insurance will need to be in your legal name.  Sometimes they even require documentation, such as a driver’s license (or if you get married and go on a spouses’ plan, a marriage certificate).  Your mom should check with her human resources department to make sure that the specific company she works for is required to keep people up to age 26 on their health insurance.  There are some stipulations in place. 

Also, if you’re planning on changing your name legally (with social security), keep in mind that your new name will be on the FAFSA and your school will probably change your name – so everyone will find out that your name has changed (ex. class rosters).

Post # 8
100 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’ve looked into this health care reform issue a lot.  Under the new health care reform you can stay on your parents health insurance until age 26, even if you are married.  One thing that you will have to look out for is if you are eligible to be insured under your new husband’s plan, your mom’s health plan may require you to use that insurance. 

The best thing to do would be to call your mom’s insurance company (or the HR department in her company that deals with the health insurance) and ask them. 

As for what name to use, I agree that you have to use your legal name.  If you change your name you will have to use it on the new insurance.

The topic ‘Name Change + Helath Insurance’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors