Name change help

posted 3 years ago in Legal
Post # 2
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

You won’t have to go back to MA. I had a FL id and changed my name and got my new MA license all in one go. I do believe you would have to do it in the state you live in though. The first step is to change your name at the Social security office and then go from there!

Post # 4
638 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

Where I’m from, I had to physically go to my local DMV (in the state where I received my driver’s license) and bring my new SS card and marriage certificate to change my name on my driver’s license. The marriage certificate came from the courthouse in the state I was married in where we filed for our marriage license – you can call them and they will either mail it to you if you want or you can go pick it up in person. I was able to update my SS card via snail mail with all required documents (form from their website, passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.) but name changes on driver’s licenses have to be in person (at least in my state).

Post # 5
3352 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

View original reply
khloemichelle :  keeping your drives license as MA is illegal. I live in nyc and know all about the “personal reasons” why you’d want to keep your license in another state….and that’s fraud. You are LEGALLY REQUIRED to update your license within a very short time period of moving (typically 30 days). So update your license already and stop trying to get away with lower insurance premiums. 

As for your name change, it varies from state to state. I know NYC will allow you to change your name through NYC via marriage if you’re getting married in ny. But I’m not sure why they would allow you to do so otherwise if you’re not a resident. You might have to do your name change in NJ. 

Post # 6
9357 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
khloemichelle :  idk about NY, but in Massachusetts you either have a name change through marriage (and it’s noted on the marriage certificate) or you go through the probate court. You need to provide either the marriage certificate OR court order to social security to change your name. Once that is done you change your license, bank accounts, etc. 

ETA: and as PP said above if you live in another state now you need to change your license to the new state. Government agencies don’t really care about sentimentality, and if you’re doing it for insurance reasons (car or health) it’s fraud. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors