(Closed) Name change if I’m marrying a non-US citizen and moving overseas?

posted 7 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
2889 posts
Sugar bee

I did this. We got married in the US and I changed my name the day I returned from my honeymoon. Then I had my official name change logged in the US for social security as well as my marriage liscence and went to the nearest consulate. I needed to make an appointment so I would suggest you check online before showing up. It was just like a normal passport renewal but with a name change form. I could have even mailed it in but went in person in order to speed up the process.

Post # 4
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Definitely check with your nearest consulate/embassy and ask what they need to see and whether you need an appointment.  I was in the reversed situation; German citizen, married and living in the US.  I needed to fill out a name-change petition, have it notarized, and bring my and my husband’s passports, as well as the marriage certificate to make the name change valid in Germany.

The topic ‘Name change if I’m marrying a non-US citizen and moving overseas?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors