(Closed) Name Change in Kentucky

posted 9 years ago in LGBTQ
Post # 3
1326 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Tre Bella, Mesa, AZ

It depends on (1) the state you get married in, (2) the state you live in, and (3) the person helping you.

If there is a constitutional amendment against SS marriage in KY, the person assisting you at the social security office could refuse to recognize your marriage certificate and cite DOMA. However, they can also choose to process it.

If they process it, your certificate must have your maiden name on it + the name you are going to change it to. Not all state’s marriage certificates display this.

If the social security office won’t change your name for any reason, you then must make an appointment with the court. You must explain to a judge why you want it changed (that you were married).  The judge can deny you and cite DOMA, just like the social security office servant, or they can approve the change. Then you take that court order back to the social security office.

It sounds awful and like so many hoops to jump through (I was kind of horrified after I found this all out), but if it makes you feel any better, AZ has a constitutional amendment against SS marriage, but I had no problems taking my marriage license from MA to the social security office and having my name changed. The person helping me just processed it like normal. I also have a lesbian friend who had a ceremony but no legal marriage and got her name changed in AZ through the courts, and the judge approved it no problem.

Unless you get stuck with a real bigot, I bet you’ll be fine. If I were you, I might call a court in DC to ask about their marriage licenses and last names just to be safe, and possibly call the social security office in KY to double check – but this was basically how it worked for me this month when I started calling around.

Post # 4
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

The topic ‘Name Change in Kentucky’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors