(Closed) Name Change in Washington State

posted 9 years ago in Seattle
Post # 3
7081 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

I can ask my recently married friends at work.  I’m not planning on changing my name, so I’m no help!

Post # 5
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2008 - A tiny town just outside of Glacier National Park

I had a pretty easy time! I went to the DOL first with my marriage license and other identification. I got a new license, took the temporary license to Social Security, and had my new Social Card very quickly. Once you have both of those things, it’s pretty much a snap to change your name on other items. Some credit card companies will let you update your information on the phone, others will send you a form. My bank wanted me to come in, so I did. Bills are easy. 🙂 I still have to update my passport… since that one costs real money and needs a photo. I’m lazy like that.

Post # 6
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Any of you have any experience with changing your names to reflect 2 last names?


ie:  First Middle MyLast HisLast


Basically I don’t want to lose my current middle name by making my maiden my middle.

Post # 7
7081 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

The DMV had no problem with me adding his last name as a middle name.  We needed our marriage certificate which reflected the change and it was done in 10 minutes (though I had to wait for about an hour!)

Post # 8
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I changed mine quick and painlessly last year (but I am in Thurston County so I suspect the offices are much less busy than King Co).  I did the opposite of Cherry Pie, went to social security first, and then the drivers licensing office, and that way worked fine too.  I think both places just want your current identification (DL) and a certified copy of your marriage license.

Sapphire – I added maiden as a second middle, so I don’t have experience with changing to dual last names.  But I do remember them having a flow chart at the social security desk describing what types of name alterations were possible with each type of documentation you brought. Might be worth a phone call to your ss office?

One tip: When you go in to apply for your marriage license, pay the extra $3 to have them automatically mail you a certified copy when it is processed after the wedding.  Ours was in our mailbox about a week after the wedding, which was so helpful.

Post # 9
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I am in the process of the name change and am following the same order as MerryC….DOL won’t do anything without you updating your Social Security Card first…it needs to be in the system.  

By The Way…I went ahead and paid the $29 for missnowmrs.com…it’s making the process SO easy by providing all the forms I need for the name change process.  Also, a note on the passport in case you didn’t know…there is NO charge if you are applying for a new passport based on a name change as long as it’s done within one year of the wedding (this applies only if you have a current passport and need just the name changed). 

The topic ‘Name Change in Washington State’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors