(Closed) Name Change kit?

posted 10 years ago in Names
Post # 3
39 posts
  • Wedding: July 2008

I hear they’re a waste of money. There’s a Social Security form you need, which appears to make the IRS change too, but I still need to double check on that. You need to be sure change it on your car registration and driver’s license.

The other changes are the little ones you need to make when you move…credit cards, friends and family, work payroll, etc. 

Post # 4
228 posts
Helper bee

Definitely save your money.  Most forms are online nowadays anyway.  The standard ones to change are ss card, dmv/car stuff, passport.  Those are all available for free online.  The rest are specific to you, so a kit wouldn’t have them anyway, like credit cards, work, etc.

Post # 5
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

All the information should be available online.  The main things, as previously said, are your Social Security, drivers’ license and passport.  These are a little complicated, but if you are confused at all about the instructions on the websites you can call the SS office or the DMV and they are very helpful.  The company you work for will have their own set of procedures about name changing that covers your payroll records, insurance, etc.  Your credit cards can generally be changed with just a phone call; you may also be able to do them online.  It seems like a lot of information, but I put it all together one day (for my particular situation) in about an hour online – definately better than spending the money for the kit, especially since the big three (passport, drivers’ license, and SS Card) are going to cost you money anyway.

The topic ‘Name Change kit?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors