(Closed) Name Change? Marriage Certificate Question

posted 10 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

My name on my marriage certificate is my maiden name – you change it at the social security office when you get your marriage certificate back showing that you’r’e marriend

Post # 4
597 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I think it depends on your state’s procedures, etc. For my state, you wrote it on the license, not the certificate. You were told to write down what you might want to change it to. You were allowed two variations.Didnt mean you have to do it, but it gave you the option in the future. Because if you didnt write it on the spot on the license, then you would have to go to court if you want to change it(and if it doesnt match whats on there). But the way you start to change your name in my state/county is to talk to social security first.(after you are married). You just sign your name with your regular(maiden) name signature on the actual marriage certificate.

Post # 5
1854 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

for me, the marriage certificate shows my maiden name. Then for my name changes, I needed to show my ID’s and sometimes birth certificate AND marriage certificate; and fill forms with the way I wanted my name written from now on.

The topic ‘Name Change? Marriage Certificate Question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors