(Closed) Name Change: Not mine or his… Help!!

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

You will have to go to your court house and get name change paperwork. And yes, it is a Petition. You will be petitioning the court for a legal name change. You may want to have your Fiance do this before you are married, then all you will have to do is change your name to his when you get married.

Post # 4
2208 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Noritake is right, you will actually have to go to court. Check the website of your local court to see if they have the petition form. You (or your future FI) may have to actually go before a judge.

Post # 6
238 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

I changed my name legally (not marriage) and it was a PITA.  In my state I had to go to court twice and publish 2 notices in the newspaper.  It cost me over $600 with filing fees and ad fees.  however, I thought it was totally worth it, and every state varies. 

Post # 11
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

For him changing his name: I am not a lawyer, but when you change your name through petition one of the things the judge looks for is intent to defraud—are you changing it to run from the law, to impersonate someone else, and the like. I think as long as your fiance demonstrates that he does not intend to defraud the probation system then you’d be fine. Really though it would probably be less headache if you waited until after October though.

For you changing your name instead of him: You will have to check whether in Kansas there is a provision for a man changing his name upon marraige. In some states, only the woman is allowed a name change at marriage and the man has to go through the regular petition process. If there is no provision for a groom name change, I don’t see much point in you paying to legally change your name to the new name because as long as he did it before your marriage, you could then do it for free.

So I guess the two things you have to figure out is whether his probation will have any impact on his eligibility for a legal name change, and whether Kansas allows grooms to change their names upon marriage. Good luck!

Post # 13
295 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’d call your county (or city, whoever handles it there) and see what the rules are. In our state (which is definitely unusual in its laws!) you can actually change to a combination name provided the parts are part of the current names of groom and bride, for instance (but have to go through the whole shebang if you’re changing to something that’s not already part of the bride or groom’s name). You can also have one partner change the name pre-marriage, and then the second person just gets counted as a marriage name change (much cheaper), vs. both partners changing their names afterwards, which is much more expensive/complicated. Whoever handles this for your jurisdiction can probably advise you on the best way to do it if you explain what the end goal is. Good luck!

Post # 15
276 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I had a legal name change about a year ago, taking on my step-father’s name, which will now become my maiden name.  It took about 20 minutes to run to city hall, fill out the paper work, and submit it.  I got the approved papers about a week later, had my driver’s license changed a few days after that.  It was all very simple, and I think it cost around $40.

Post # 16
5498 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I don’t know all the specifics but when my Mom wanted our last name changed legally to my step dad’s (we had already gone by it our whole lives w/o knowing any different) we had to go to court. They just asked why we wanted to do it, if we were running from charges…basic stuff. IT took about 5 minuets. Nothing major.

The topic ‘Name Change: Not mine or his… Help!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors