(Closed) Name change question: Social Security

posted 10 years ago in Names
Post # 3
14181 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’m in Missouri, and you get a print out from the SS office saying your name is changed. I did that, then took it tot he DMV. I did them within 30 minutes of each other. You don’t need the new card…

Post # 4
3331 posts
Sugar bee

I’m in Michigan, but I was able to change my SS-card and drivers license on the same day. The SS office gave me an official letter that showed my name change, so I was able to show that and a copy of my marriage license everywhere else I needed to change my name, until the new SS card came in.  As far as everything I heard, you do have to do Social Security first and then you can change everywhere else.

Post # 6
801 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

In Texas I went to the SSA office and the DMV on the same day.  Yes, you will have to wait for your new SS card in the mail but I didn’t need it to change my DL.  I took the receipt from the SSA with me to the DMV and they didn’t even ask for it.  As long as I had a certified copy of my marriage license I was good to go.

Post # 7
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I just did mine today in Manhattan.  Miraculously, there were just two people ahead of me.  The office is massive, with 35 service windows, yet I was in and out of there in under 20 minutes.  In MANHATTAN!!  Shocking!

I’m going to try the “use the official SS letter” method and see if it gets me anywhere.  But I’m secretly hoping the card is mailed to me before Thanksgiving, as I’d like to go to DMV on Black Friday and get that behind me.

The topic ‘Name change question: Social Security’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors