- 7 years ago
- Wedding: March 2011
Several questions here, so bear with me. I appreciate any help you can give.
I’ve tried looking through older posts but haven’t seen anything that answers my direct questions. Its been a month since our wedding as of today. About time to get movin’ on changing my name and such.
1) In some posts, it sounds like bees were automatically sent their legal marriage certificate after the wedding. (From anywhere from 1-3 months after.) Is that standard? Should we be receiving something, or do I have to go get it?
2) I see marriage license and marriage certificate seemingly used interchangeably. Are they the same thing, or different?
3) To get my name changed, I know the first piece I need is our marriage certificate. After that, what’s the next step? Sounds like my SS card needs to get changed? And then its that plus the certificate that I take to get everything else changed?
4) How many certified copies of our marriage certificate do I need to get? (IE- I imagine some places will just need a photocopy or faxed version, others may need an original. Is there a list somewhere that indicates which is which?)
5) What are all the things that need to be changed? (I’m listing everything I can think of, but please comment if I’m missing anything!)
- SSN card
- Other money accounts (savings, retirement, IRA, CDs, investments, etc.)
- Credit cards
- Car registration
- Drivers license
- loans (car, school, house, etc.)
- other miscllaneous accounts (library, gym, club memberships [ie Petco, grocery store, airline miles points, etc.])
6) At what point after all of this is my name officially/legaly changed? When it’s on the marriage certificate? When it’s on my SSN card? On my Driver’s license?
I’ve considered signing up for the Miss now Mrs. service since its supposed to address a lot of this (I think?), but I’ve also heard that it was kind of a waste of money. I thought I’d turn to the Hive, first. 🙂 Thanks everyone!