(Closed) Name Change Questions…(In Canada)

posted 11 years ago in Names
Post # 3
2633 posts
Sugar bee

I think you can do it anytime after you get married, just have the marriage license and certificate.  Go to the Social Security office first and then the DMV, then everything else.


Changing your passport is actually pretty easy – don’t sweat it!

Post # 4
18628 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

You can change your name once you get the license back in the mail.  I got mine a week after the wedding.  The first place you go is the social security office and then the DMV.  After you get your new drivers license, you can change your name on all your bank accounts and other accounts.

Oh wait, you are in Canada.  I don’t know how to change your name in Canada.

Post # 6
1854 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

You need your marriage certificate. First, go change your SIN at Service Canada, you will need your birth certificate and marriage certificate and the form that you can find on the Service Canada Website. It’s free – some clerks will try to charge you 10$ for it, but it’s really free when it’s a name change due to marriage.

For your health card and Driver’s licence, it’s with your province so I’m not sure about yours.

I’m about to do passport, but I don’t know yet how it’s done. They do have all the information on Passport Canada website however…

But for all of these, you can do it as soon as you have your marriage certificate with you.

Then, for banks and stuff, they want to see ID with your new name, as well as the marriage certificate so you have to wait for new ID before going.

Good luck!

The topic ‘Name Change Questions…(In Canada)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors