Name change w/ social security question. After divorce and new marriage

posted 3 months ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
1213 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2018

I’m pretty sure you do.  I needed it to change my name back to my maiden name.  Can you go to the courthouse and get another copy, or have them send you one?  It should still be on file.

Post # 3
2675 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - Valleybrook Country Club

Petals2002 :  I’m pretty sure you need the original divorce paperwork. Can you request a certified copy be sent overnight fedex to you from your lawyer?

Post # 4
580 posts
Busy bee

I think it depends on the state you live in. 

I live in Pennsylvania and changed my name while my ex and I were separated and the divorce was in progress. I went to the courthouse and filed an election to resume my maiden name. The courthouse put their seal on it and that was it. I took that document to the social security office and they were able to issue a new card with that document. 

Post # 7
844 posts
Busy bee

I’m pretty sure you will need it 

Post # 8
223 posts
Helper bee

Bring either the original or a certified copy (a photocopy wont work) – I went to SS to change my name without my divorce decree and ended up having to run to family court to get it. I argued with the SS person – if I wasn’t divorced, the state of CA couldn’t have given me a marriage license, but SS didn’t care.  Waa a huge pain in the ass  (I also had my passport with me, issued post divorce in my maiden name, so I have no idea what the F was wrong with social security) 

Post # 9
448 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I just needed my new marriage certificate. I did not need the divorce decree. They just need proof of your old and new names, they don’t care how you got the old name. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors