(Closed) name change…ugh please help im so upset

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
9649 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

@AMBAM20:  perhaps go to city hall? or contact your council and the births, deaths and marriages registar. i am concerned about this happening too, my mum said she didn’t need to sign a change of name form or anything, just her marriage certificate was enough, but i will be definitely looking into it thoroughly! i am sorry you’re going through this 🙁

Post # 4
827 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m surprised SS would let you chenge your name, but not DMV- you’d think their policies would be the same for this situation. Since that doesn’t seem to be the case, I’d call city hall and find out what you need to do to get your name changed on your marriage certificate. Good luck!

Post # 5
4583 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’m confused. Your marriage certificate doesn’t reflect your new name? When we filled out our marriage license, there was a spot to write surname after marriage. If your marriage certificate doesn’t reflect your new married name, I’m surprised SS let you change it. And I’m surprised the DMV gave you a hard time if SS didn’t. Maybe try a different DMV branch? 🙂 Sorry I don’t have a more helpful suggestion.

Post # 6
658 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Wow, where do you live? In MA they don’t require ANYTHING to change your name. I went in ready to show my new SS card and marriage certificate. She didn’t ask to see either. I could be going by Superman right now, decided against it though 😉

Good luck, I would try city hall.

Post # 7
923 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

Ugh.  I had a similar problem wihen I changed back to my maiden name after my divorce.  The SS office had no problem taking a non-notarized copy of my divorce decree (the only copy my attorney had sent me), but the DMV required a notarized copy even though my SS card, birth certificate, and divorce decree all had my maiden name.  You would think that federal rules would trump state rules.

Post # 8
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

that’s so weird.  my marriage license does not have my new name because when we got married I didn’t think i’d be changing it.  I didn’t have problems anywhere.  The DMV didn’t even ask to see it, they just wanted to see my new SS card.

I think you might have just gotten a cranky DMV employee.  Try a different location.

Post # 9
835 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@Meowkers:  My thoughts exactly…I had no issues either, just showed my new SSN.

Post # 10
402 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Assuming that you talked to whoever works at the front desk, I would honestly try and talk to someone higher up or at a different DMV before you do anything drastic. Maybe the employee misunderstood the procedure? If nothing else, the boss could at least give you an idea of what to do next.

Post # 12
2778 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

As others said perphaps go back to a different location with a notarized copy and your new SS.  In Colorado they don’t make you choose right there and then.  I know in California and other states they made you decide right way.  What state are you in?  

Post # 13
7902 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

States and the federal government sometimes have different rules. You may need to apply for a new marriage certificate. The federal government does not require that you predetermine to change your name and many states (like Florida, where I am) don’t ask you to decide in advance, but other states require it. You can get a court order for a name change too.

The topic ‘name change…ugh please help im so upset’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors