(Closed) name changing

posted 7 years ago in Names
Post # 3
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m in the process of changing my name. I went to the Social Security office first & then I had to wait 24 hours to go to the DMV so the name change could take place within the social security.  I’m not sure about what states will let you do but mine asked me how I wanted my name to be 🙂 

Post # 4
348 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’m sure it depends on your state, but I found it super easy. I went to the Social Security office first, and I think I needed my marriage certificate, current social security card and license, and possibly my birth certificate (although I don’t remember for sure). I was able to choose my new name and they printed me a temporary card. I went straight from there to the DMV and got a new license, and stopped at my bank on the way home to change my name there. All in all, it took me no longer than a couple hours. Just try to go during the middle of the morning or afternoon so you can avoid the super long lines.

Post # 5
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

in CA, i filed my name change on my marriage license so the certificate said my new last name. then i brought that to the social security office and a couple weeks later went to the DMV. i changed credit cards by calling and then just issued me the new one. as mail came, i would call or write. the most annoying ones have actually been airline loyalty numbers and my paypal account! random, i know, but you have to send copies via mail and wait where as most other things were just a phone call or email.

Post # 6
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

It does depend on the state but it might be worth checking out the SS office first.  In Colorado, I had to go to SS first and then wait for my new SS card before changing my name on anything else.

I didn’t get my new license for a month because I was moving but I was able to change my name on credit cards and bank accounts with just my marriage license.

According to this website, you need to go to SS first before going to the DMV.

Post # 7
44 posts
  • Wedding: October 2010

Congrats on the baby! I went to SS first– that was the worst part, really, and even that wasn’t too bad at all, just annoying to wait in the office. I went to the DMV a few days later– I don’t even think they asked for any documentation, but they probably should have. Once you get the SS card and license, it will be easy to change everything else. My bank made me wait until I had my actual new license, they wouldn’t take a print out or my marriage certificate for some reason.

As for the actual name change, Mass let me keep my old middle name and my maiden name as two middle names, no problem. Other states make that an actual “name change” like you would have to do if you changed it for whatever reason other than marriage (more forms and more money).

Post # 8
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Here’s the order I went in: Social Security, DMV (had to get a new picture), bank accounts, credit cards, utility bills, doctor’s office, health insurance, frequent flier, AAA.

I’m in California.  Your new last name has to be chosen at the time the marriage license is issued.  The county clerk’s website is how I found out how to change my name.

The topic ‘name changing’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors