(Closed) Name changing question in California

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

Ooooh…I think that you can’t.  The SSO goes by what’s on your marriage license…


I think you should try anyway.  Go to the SSO, and fill out their form in the way you want your name to appear, and make sure they can do it.  If they can’t, they will tell you what you need to do to fix it and if they can, you’re home free!  Once you have your SS card, every other gov’t office MUST go by what is on the card, so you’ll be able to change your name everywhere else accordingly.

Post # 4
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

Hey, I’m also a CA bride. Once you fill out your license, that’s pretty much it. What you’ll need to do to change your name is petition the court for a name change. I’ve been told it’s a bit pricey, but once you’ve filed your license, that’s the name you’ll have. Sorry I don’t have better news!

Post # 5
1044 posts
Bumble bee

If you want to get your name changed, you have to go down to the court and it’s EXPENSIVE.  I think the lady told me it was more than $1000 and wanted me to make sure I wanted that name before we went through with getting the wedding certificate. 

My sister-in-law had the same problem.  She wanted to use her maiden name since she works for a popular magazine.  Even though her wedding certificate states that her maiden name is now her middle name and her last name is her husband’s last name, she still goes by her first name and hypenates her maiden and husband’s last name in publications.


Post # 6
2765 posts
Sugar bee

Honestly, my wife changed her name but I don’t think she’s used it professionally even once!  I think in most cases, you can basically call yourself anything you want…

Post # 7
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

Actually, I think you can file a new marriage license (but don’t quote me on that; I don’t remember where I think I read it) which should help with the SSO. Look into that before going the court order route; it’d be much easier!

The topic ‘Name changing question in California’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors