(Closed) Names & the mortgage

posted 7 years ago in Names
Post # 3
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Yes, you just have to change the name on your deed. Usually it will involve a lawyer and my lawyer quoted me roughly $300 to make that happen.

I’ve already spent close to a grand to go through a legal name change (not the typical way) so I’m just going to leave my maiden name on the deed. My lawyer said it won’t be an issue when we got to sell as long as I have documentation proving the name change. And if it’s an issue we can always do it then.

Post # 4
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I have not changed the deed on our house.  Maybe there will be a problem when we sell later but I don’t want to pay $300 to change it when I have a marriage license saying my old name.  We cannot change the name on the mortgage unless the deed is changed so that is in my maiden name too.

Post # 5
1137 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

As far as the mortgage processor (the bank you pay your check to every month), you will just have to call them and probably fax a marriage certificate to change your name on the mortgage.

To change your name on the deed, I went to my county to do it and they said it’s not necessary. You may need to bring a copy of your marriage license to closing when you sell the house, but at least in my county, I didn’t have to change my name on the deed. I would call your county offices to double check.

The topic ‘Names & the mortgage’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors