Ive been slim my whole life with no effort whatsoever eating anything and everything.
Im in my 30s now and on my wedding day I was 118lbs im 5’3″. Within 6 months of marriage I was 134lbs. (I’ve since lost some of the weight)
I attribute this weight gain to my husband making us breakfast every day and me making us dinner every night. And then him insisting we go out for dinner sometimes too where we dont ever choose a salad for dinner. Ha!
I still “look” slim but now I have fat/curves in places and my pants fit snugger… I want to be 118lbs again LOL though not desperately or anything.
I think for me the difference now is he has to have 3 meals a day, he needs to eat solid meals, whereas with me I would usually skip breakfast or I would have a cup of tea and something light like fruit because I wasnt always that hungry in the morning and then I would have lunch, but also I would snack all day long and I may or may not have dinner/big dinner depending on how hungry I was. But when I did eat I ate whatever I wanted for lunch or dinner (I ate healthy things as well as “bad” things it was based on whatever I felt like eating I enjoy salads just as much as I enjoy steak so I think that balance helped).
We actually recently decided to eat better lately since we both gained a little weight and I have since lost a few pounds.
1) What kinds of foods you eat in a typical day? Fruits, veggies, whole grains, meat and snacks.
Eg. Breakfast – tea (no sweeter thats just how ive always done it) with 100 calorie sandwhich thin 2 slices of bread w/ peanut butter and jelly.
Morning snack – fruit (an apple or some grapes etc).
second morning snack – fruit/chips (100 calorie pack) – sometimes if im hungry
lunch grilled chicken with steamed veggies OR cucumber, corn, tuna and tomato salad
desert – special k crisp
afternoon snack – 100 calorie popcorn
second afternoon snack – fruit/chips(100 calorie pack) – sometimes if im hungry
dinner – salmon, brocolli, 1/2 baked potatoe OR bowl of cereal OR chicken burger on 100 calorie sandwhich thin bread with lettuce tomatoe and mustard with a side of beets.
Desert – All natural fruit popsicle
(We have stopped keeping overly indulgent snacks/treats at home – I think this is a huge help! If its not there you cant eat it!)
Also, I drink a ton of water, always have been that way.
2) Do you only eat a “normal” meal times, or do you snack in between? Normal and snacks
3) Do you eat all 3 meals or do you sometimes skip meals here or there? (I know when I was smaller I rarely ate breakfast) YES! When i was smaller I rarely ate breakfast too! Interesting because they always speak of breakfast being the most important meal of the day, but I didn’t always have it when I was much thinner…
N E Way, these days I eat 3 meals really BUT now really considering going back to skipping breakfast now… 🙂
4) How often do you “indulge,” be it with sweet things, salty things, other junk food, etc.? I indulge daily BUT I plan for it for eg. I bought the 100 calorie Special K crisps so if I want something sweet I have that vs. butterfinger from the vending machine etc. same plan for a salty snack I eat the 100 calorie white cheddar popcorn pack vs. Doritos from the vending machine. On the weekends if we go out to eat we get desert and split it or I get a small of whatever it is, I do not deprive myself and I have a huge sweet tooth.
5) Do you exercise? What kind and how often? I excercise periodically and have been this way throughout my life, everthing form Aeorobics to kick boxing to walking. These days im doing the walking about 20 minutes 3 times a week. I go through periods of no exercise at all as well.
6) And the last one that I tend to struggle with: Do you only eat when you feel physically hungry?
Mostly yes, I only eat when Im hungry and when I am busy I can go without eating (which could be good or bad).
The main thing is to be healthy I get physicals every year and have no health issues so my diet/weight is a personal preference for me since I’m already healthy as it is.
That said, my recommendation is PLEASE dont beat yourself up. Figure out the healthy/good foods you like to eat (this may take some time and expirementation) and build your main meals around them and plan for your snacks if you are a snacker. And dont deprive yourself its all about portion control that way you dont overdo it.
I can totally relate to your post so best of luck to you! 🙂