Post # 1
My fiance has asked me to change our wedding date (now 5 months out from our wedding) to a date 3 additional months out. He is currently on the job hunt and is stressed that he won’t be able to have a productive job hunt and subsequently not enjoy the wedding due to the stress. I am reluctant to changing the date because a) we have booked every vendor except flowers and cake and put down deposits on everything b) I have already committed to moving away from my job, condo, friends, and family wherever he gets a new job.
We were going to send out the Save the Dates this upcoming week. Help?
Just need words of wisdom.
Post # 3
I would personally try to move the date. We had friends in a similiar financial situation and there was a lot of crying and stress. They still have not recovered financially 6 months later as the bride is still unemployed. I bet you can move the vendors to a different date without losing the deposit. In the end- you want the least stress.
Hugs* I hope that helps some!
Post # 4
I’d try to move the date. The last thing you want is for your FH to be stressed in the months leading up to his and your wedding.
Post # 5
Hmm, if you haven’t sent out the STD’s yet, I would go head and see if you can move the date. I think it’s actually really good that your Fiance is looking out for things like this that could potentially put a rift on the wedding day festivities. Three months isn’t that long, and your vendors, I would guess, will probably be willing to work with you.
Post # 6
That’s a hard decision, but I’d rather move the date and ask the vendors if they could move it too, if they aren’t booked for the new date, maybe they’ll do it free of charge…
Post # 7
Thank you for the advice everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed and am just really not sure what to do.
Our venue is a popular location in So Cal/ Malibu area and is already booked through the summer (and possibly fall… I would need to double check.) We run the risk of losing our large deposit if we move it. Now, losing a lot of money is also in the mix.
Thank you for the advice!
Post # 8
I would say that its worth looking into, but if you are going to loose hundreds of dollars then maybe it is best to go ahead and keep the date. Maybe you can try to do as much of the planning by yourself and keep things as simple as possible. It sounds like you have a lot of the work done alread.
Post # 9
I agree that the first step is to figure out how much money changing the date will cost you. If you are moving from summer to fall, your vendors may be flexible, since they can probably rebook for a summer saturday pretty easily. If you’re going to lose lots of money by changing, then that’s probably your answer right there. If not, then you can start the conversation about whether it makes sense for you. So contact your vendors before you make any decisions!
Post # 10
All comes down to money sadly. If you can afford to, change it. But if not, make sure you both do all you can to emjoy your day anyway. Good luck with things.
Post # 11
Thank you again for the advice and support. Called the venue. The only dates they have open are Sept. 11th and Oct. 30th. It’s an all outside venue so the later date seems troublesome (and it’s Halloween weekend.) Next option would be to switch the venue but loose the deposit.
We have a lot of talking to do! 🙂
Thank you for the thoughtful advice! I really appreciate every word!