(Closed) Need Advice Getting Mom on Board W/Destination & Keeping Organized

posted 6 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 4
46 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I can relate to this.  My Fiance and I are getting married in Oahu.  We couldn’t be more excited! This is exactly what we wanted.

When we first brought up the idea my mother was very resistant, to the point of withdrawing financial support.  My feelings were hurt. I wanted her to be happy and excited for us.  We put our dream of getting Married in Hawaii on the back burner and I started looking at local venues and putting together the guest list, which quickly mounted to 250 people.  After each appointment at the local venues, I just felt overwhelmed with disappointment.  Finally Fiance called me on my lunch break one fateful day and says, “Nicole, why are we doing this?  This is not US! This isn’t what WE want!?” all I could do is agree! Just like that, Hawaii was back on!

Has there been some grumbling? Yes.  But mom has come around.  In the end, all of our closest family and friends will be there and they are very excited and happy for us.  We are having a wedding of about 40 people!  Everyone has their opinions and you can never make EVERYONE happy.  I tried, but noone was happy, especially me!

My advice would be do what feels right to you! Yes, you can pull it off, whether it is an hour or 10 hours away.  We havent even been to Hawaii so we booked venues sight unseen but through perusing the boards to see others experience, utilizing a planner, and consulting with our photographer who has shot there before, we went for it and feel confident in our choices. 

We are using a planner to coordinate most of the details for the wedding, but there is still lots to coordinate on our end.  I think it is important to delegate responsibility to people you trust to get everything done.  Good luck!

The topic ‘Need Advice Getting Mom on Board W/Destination & Keeping Organized’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors