(Closed) Need advice. I only eat 1000 calories a day.

posted 6 years ago in Fitness
Post # 17
3967 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

It’s not just calories, but calories from where? From carbs or from protein? 100 calories from sheet protein is going to do more for you than the quick energy of 100 calories from simple carbs.

Post # 18
7646 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

@AquaGrey8962:  I am on MFP, and I have to say the reason those people lose 40 lbs in 4 months is because they were probably bigger than you are in the first place. Losing weight is more rapid the heavier you are, but ti will slow down for them too.

That said, I have friends on there who have lost a ton of weight in a short time too, but they eat 1,800 calories and then work a lot of it off. They put their hours in a at the gym. They don’t starve themselves.

I average 1 pound every two weeks. 1 lb per week is healthy. I also spend $300/month on groceries for my husband and I, and I ALWAYS have enough money to load up on veggies and fruit. We buy what’s in season.

I would truly consider going online, calculating your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) -20% and eating those calories because that is what your body needs. Weight loss needs to be slower and steady in order for you to see results that last. This may work right now, but eventually you are going to plateau and be hungry and overeat.

Post # 19
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@AquaGrey8962:  I think maybe crayfish was referring to produce markets vs. farmers markets.  Produce markets are regular stores that focus on produce rather than packaged food (although their selection is often as good or better than the Jewels and Dominicks).  These are definitely MUCH cheaper (I actually did a full on exact comparison between Trader Joes and Fresh Farms in Skokie and Fresh Farms won by at least 25%).  Also, a lot of the produce markets will have old fruit and veggies that are still perfectly fine today, but need to be cooked today – these cost only cents.  My personal favorites of the stores are Fresh Farms in Skokie and Edgewater Produce in Andersonville, but I’d be happy to try and direct you to more if you tell me where you are in Chicago.

Post # 21
1889 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

40 lbs is quite a goal!  I know if I did 30 mins of cardio 4 days/week, just one 30-min weight training session, and ate pasta and no veggies… I would gain weight 🙁  It really matters WHAT exercise you’re doing and WHAT your calories are.  I love pasta and it’s cheap, but I never make it because it makes me fat and bloated.

PP’s have already given you good advice–try to buy seasonal produce and meats on sale and freeze what you don’t use immediately, eat meat-free protein such as nuts and beans, drink lots of water, stop w/ all the pasta.  Could you do 30 mins of cardio in the morning, and then 30 mins of weight training later in the day?  You are capable of anything you set your mind to and you do not have to starve yourself!

Post # 22
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

You sound catabolic; your weightloss is likely your body breaking down & consuming your muscle mass rather than your fat because you’re starving yourself. Keep this up & you’ll do irreversible damage to your metabolism.

Post # 23
9820 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I spend no more than $100 a week on groceries for the 2 of us (actually I usually spend $70-90 but I eat out once or twice a week for lunch).  And we eat very healthy.

My advice would be to make lots of vegetarian meals! 

I make almost all vegetarian or vegan meals.  Sometimes I do make fish though and I will make Fiance bacon on the weekends sometimes.

It saves A LOT of $ not buying meat.

I also frequently double recipes so I can take leftovers to work the next day for lunch and eat leftovers the next night for dinner. 

One of my favorite and cheap things to make are veggie burgers.  My favorite I did with great northern beans, black beans, sweet potatoes, peanuts, brown rice, processed oats (I process whole oats), and seasonings.  I double the recipe and it makes me around 12 large burgers.  That is a LOT!!!  I serve with avocado, bread/bun if you want, sweet potato fries, mustard, cheese, etc.  They are so filling that I don’t even need a bun.

I also bake from scratch so I rarely buy breads, sweets, candies, or any of that type of stuff.

Post # 24
63 posts
Worker bee

Also, maybe consult with the trainers at your gym?  Sometimes, gyms will do a one time free session to “orient” you to the gym and help you make the most of it – perhaps the particular cardio you are choosing is not the most effective choice.

Post # 25
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

Eat 1000 calories for too long and your body will get used to it. Your body is so starving the second you start eating more than that you put on weight. Take it from someone who made this mistake. Don’t go below 1200 – 1300 calories. 

Post # 26
3682 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Your body is starvation mode. Weight loss — you’re doing it wrong.

I recommend reading the book “4 Hour Body” by Tim Ferriss. He recommends a paleo-esque diet that when done correctly is cheap. He even has a whole section in there on how cheap it is. Get a crock pot — cheap cuts of meat are awesome when they slow cook for 8-10 hours.

Post # 27
344 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

It sounds like you are trying your best, especially with your scar tissue that hinders how much you can exercise.

Frankly, that is probably the biggest reason why you’re not losing weight as fast as you’d like.

What kind of exercise do you do? If it is all high-impact work outs for 30 min at a time, could you possibly do something that isn’t as hard on your body, but for a longer time? Walking has been shown to be just as good as running. Also, you could try to exercise parts of your body that your scar tissue doesn’t affect? Or maybe some aquafit?

Otherwise, it’s really awesome that you are trying to lose weight, but take it easy on yourself! It took a while to put weight on your body, and it will take a while to take it off! (and nevermind other people who say they’ve lost more, faster; maybe they’re spending 5 hours a day working out, or maybe they have a dietician that most people cannot afford).

And depending on your height/exercise capacity, you probably need at least 1200-1500 calories? (I’m not a dietician, so I don’t know, but maybe you should talk to your doctor who could give other suggestions).

Post # 28
361 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

My Fiance and I spend about 150 give or take every two weeks for groceries (about 75 a week), and we happen to eat a fair amount of fruits and veggies. I feel Costco gives me a great value for quality fruits and veggies. I’d look into a place like that or check out your local farmers markets. 

And since you can’t workout for long periods of time you should check out this website blogilates.com It offers free workouts that are fairly short in length.

Post # 29
1723 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

Your intake is the problem. By the sounds of things, you and I are in fairly similar boats (roughly the same amount to lose, both classed as ‘slightly obese,’ etc).

I’ve never eaten anywhere close to 1,300 calories a day to lose weight…let alone 1,000.

Your BMR is probably around 1700 – 1800 calories a day, I’m guessing. If you can boost your intake up to that, you might see more results. Years ago, I tried doing what you’re doing – the end result was that I was malnourished, depressed, anxious, and the weight wasn’t falling off near as quickly as I’d hoped.

When it comes to buying produce – I’m a vegetarian and we can easily spend, even at big chain grocery stores, far less than $300 a month for food and other necessities (toilet paper, etc.).

I’ve given up on some of the stuff that’s too expensive – I love cherries, but I’m not going to pay $9 for a bag of them I’ll have to scarf down. I go for cheaper produce – apples, strawberries (seasonally), blueberries (seasonally – they are expensive some months), blackberries, raspberries…and for vegetables…broccoli, carrots, spinach, tomatoes and bell peppers.

Do you have any farmer’s markets in your area? I’ve walked home with a giant bag of veggies before that cost me less than $5 and lasted for about 2 weeks.

I once weighed about 300 pounds (I’m about 100 pounds lighter now, and have 40 more to go). Back then, yeah, I could easily lose 2 – 3 pounds a week…near effortlessly. I’ve accepted these days that losing a pound, maybe a bit more a week, is fine.

I don’t care if it takes me a year or so to reach my goals. The thing is – I’d much rather lose it slowly and adjust to this new way of eating than cut calories drastically, hate my diet, and end up backtracking multiple times trying to make it work.

Post # 30
5884 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@AquaGrey8962:  In my opinion, your stragegy to weight loss is conventional, but backwards.  Here are my recomendations:

1) For your workouts, swap your cardio with weight lifting.  IE, weight train 4x per week and do cardio 1x per week.  Maybe supliment with some light activity like walking.  Make sure your workouts are short but intense.  

2) Eat more calories, but fewer carbs.  Relying on carbs for your energy is cheap, but it’s not going to make you lean.  Eating an extremely low calorie diet, as you do right now, is unsustainable and (as you’ve experienced) not particuarly effective for your body type.

3) Here is an article that might help you choose a better diet on a budget: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/23/grocery-shopping-with-your-middle-finger/

Post # 31
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

We have a family of 5- I cook 3 meals a day 5 days a week and we spend $450 a month on groceries.  So yeah- it can be done.  I also eat healthy and I have lost 80lbs over the last year. I haven’t crash dieted- I have learned about portion control and a healthy make up of a diet and  macro/micro nutrients are. Weight loss surgery patients are eating more than 1000 calories a day. 

The topic ‘Need advice. I only eat 1000 calories a day.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors