Need Advice: June wedding planned in Italy — should we postpone or pivot?

posted 1 year ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 2
572 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Anyone of your guests who bought a ticket can call the airline and they will give a full credit towards future travel within 1 year of when ticket was bought.  Airlines being very generous about travel changes due to the virus. So don’t worry about that.

Italy is going to be reeling for a very long time even long after they get a handle on the illness.  Businesses will be closed down, people suffering financially and in grief.  It’s going to be a different Italy for a very long time.

Dont wait to get married to your love . There are many beautiful places in America to get married.  Just do that.  Your friends and families who have had a blownto the finances and their sense of security will thank you.

So so sorry this happened to you.  It’s all in your outlook and attitude. You can do it!

Post # 4
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

First of all I’m so sorry about your wedding. My really close friend had an early May wedding planned in Spain that she is postponing to October. Honestly I think that’s a bit optimistic. A lot of healthcare professionals predict there might be a lull over summer and then a re-surgence of cases in October.

On top of everything the economy will be reeling for a long time. my friend wants a commitment for her October Spain wedding. I have a 2 year old and I’m 37 weeks pregnant. My husband and I are both worried we could lose our jobs as we work for companies that rely heavily on Chinese manufacturing and European and Asian markets. I 100% want to be there for her and am so sad this is happening to her wedding. But on the other hand our life is in complete chaos (like most people’s right now), so a destination wedding is frankly low in my priority list.

If possible I’d plan something either small or easy for guests to attend local to you. I know it’s not your dream wedding, but I don’t think things will be business as usual in a few months or even a year. So sorry bee!! 

Post # 5
2025 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

I would postpone. That way you don’t miss out on the money and you and your guests will support the tourism industry there.

Post # 6
7536 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

Honestly at this point I would postpone. At the very least you could talk to your immediate family (parents, siblings) and see if they would stlll be willing to travel. If they are I’d consider scrapping having a larger wedding and maybe just treat it like an elopement. 

Post # 7
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2020

Our wedding was planned for June 27 France, near the border of Italy. We have not made the final call yet, but I am assuming we are going to have to postpone.

I am not confident in anything being planned for this year, so we are pushing to June 2021 at the moment. We aren’t even sure things will be fully better by then, but, similar to you, we don’t want to completely lose out on our down payments for everything.

I would be worried even scheduling a wedding locally within the next 6 months. No one knows how long this will last or whether cases will continue to rise through the fall months. 

Also, I don’t think the whole refund thing is necessarily true for all flights just yet. Our flights were going to be mid-June but right now they are only refunding/waiving change fees for flights through June 1. I am hopeful that this date will be extended to encompass more summer flights, but I have not heard anything yet.


Good luck with everything bee. 

Post # 8
147 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2021


Post # 9
5397 posts
Bee Keeper

At this rate the whole world is going, POSTPONE!!!

Post # 10
572 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Your wedding date of June 30th is coming up.  I’m just so curious what you decided to do and how everything is going?  

I see that Italy (one of the hardest hit by the virus) has started to open up slowly.  I’m not even sure if traveling there is possible or if there is 2 week quarantine required by Italy and/or the US.

would love an update! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors