(Closed) Need help on a centerpiece idea

posted 8 years ago in DIY
  • poll: Which bowl to use as the centerpiece?

Bowl 1

Bowl 2

Scratch that idea and look for something else!

Either would work

• Post # 17
    2119 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@Lulume: Plant world will have the most expensive orchids, I think they are better for the filler material. The flower shops on Avenue road usually charges around $20 per orchid, but they WILL have enough white ones for you – they always have them on stock. IKEA is by far the cheapest option, and as I said they do have good quality orchids most of the time, but colours are a little hit and miss. If I were you, I would drive to Avenue Rd some weekend and have a look at the stores there. I think you will feel much calmer after that. What I would do then if I were you, would be to go to IKEA as your first stop to buy them – then head to Avenue Rd if they don’t have enough flowers. 

When you do buy them: make sure you get orchids that don’t have damaged/droopy leaves, stems that still have buds (that’s the only way you don’t have to face the risk of all the flowers falling off) and that the connection between the bud and the steam isn’t pink in colour. If it is, you’ll lose that bud/flower.

Post # 18
    30392 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

@Lulume:  If you are using a clear glass vase, I would not suggest that you remove the orchid from the pot it came in. The dirt, bark  and roots aren’t a very attractive sight. You can camouflage the top with moss but even that wouldn’t look great all around the sides of the vase.

If you decide to use the clear glass vase, I think your idea of setting the orchid in its pot inside the vase, then surrounding it with pebbles is an excellent idea.

Any florist should be able to order a brown cache pot for you similar to your original pic.

Home Depot always has reasonably priced orchids too. Contact the garden centre manager and get a quote on providing the number of white orchids you need.

Post # 20
    2119 posts
    Buzzing bee

@Lulume: Well, the image you posted is a phalaenopsis, which is the most generic orchid out there (and the pretties in my opinion) so you shouldn’t have to worry about getting them early just so that you don’t miss out. They will always be in stock! What you do have to worry about is the flowers themselves, they will drop after a little while – how quick depends on your home conditions (warm?). I would not get them as early as 2 months before, and I would be iffy even with 1 month. I think I would get them about 2 weeks before the wedding to make sure that they are in good condition when you use them, still avoiding last minute panic. That said, I would do a trial run as soon as you have the pots. Then you know what type of material you need and how much.

Post # 22
    2119 posts
    Buzzing bee

@Lulume: Wonderful, glad I could help! In case you have any orchid related questions, just send me a note. Fiance and I love them and have them all over the house and are quite geeky about them from time to time – happy to share the knowledge I have!

The topic ‘Need help on a centerpiece idea’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors