(Closed) Tuesday July 3 2012 Wedding Okay if Wednesday is Holiday?

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Wow that’s tough.  I know as a guest, it would be stressful to have to travel out to a wedding so quickly.  I probably wouldn’t stay late and party because it would mean I would have to miss a second day of work in order to recover for the rest of the week.

Post # 4
5761 posts
Bee Keeper

Another thing to consider is that while it may be cheaper for you, hotels and flights and everything else will increase significantly for your guests. You may also have a lot of people declining because it IS a holiday.

Post # 5
2442 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I think it is a great idea.  What is wrong with getting married on a Tuesday?  I’ve never heard of something being wrong with getting married on a Tuesday.  I don’t know a lot about flights during the holidays but I would think if you give advance notice it would be fine.  People travel to visit family on the 4th anway!  It’s just usually for a cookout instead of a wedding.  I say absolutely go for it!

Post # 6
299 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I personally wouldn’t do it cause its in the middle of the week (even though its a holiday, I can see people having to take Monday off too to travel) and that’s holiday  people can be busy or on vacation. But in your situation it sounds like you love the venue and its a date that works for your guests, so why not. Don’t worry about the day, you have justified it already by the sound of your email.

Post # 7
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I probably wouldn’t do it.  Way too many moving parts to be able to make this happen, you know? 

Post # 9
1145 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@Mel1982: May not be the best idea. But do whats best for you. The people who love you and really care will be there even if you had it on christmas day!

Post # 10
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

My FI’s cousin got married on labor day weekend, and his dad complianed about it being a little inconsiderate of guests to get married over a holiday like that.  I would think some people probably have annual July 4th plans or trips they take and you’ll probably lose some guests because of that.  Also it will be more diffucult for your out of town guests to get there for a Wednesday wedding.  If I were a guest, I’d feel a little inconvenienced by that choice of date.

Post # 11
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@Captain013: you are right about that.  The people that REALLY want to be there will make it happen, but you still run the risk of them feeling inconvenienced and missing some people who are on the cusp that you would probably want there, but who would choose not to come.

Post # 13
109 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I say go for it. I personally don’t like when people get married around holidays, b/c those are usually already taken up by family events, but this may be a passive way to cut down your guest list to a reasonable number (especially if you are paying for it yourselves!) Those who find it odd or inconvenient won’t come. Those who are nearest and dearest will make any odd date work. 

Post # 14
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Weekday weddings aren’t the issue… lets be real… times are hard and everything is expensive. I have been to several weekday weddings (chosen as a cost savings) that were absolutely awesome! And I had to work the next day.

If you do have it on a Tuesday though, expect it to be a shorter wedding, have it a little later (in case people have to work that day which is possible even though they would be off the next day).. I say this because even though the next day is a holiday, people get in that routine/sleep patterns during week days and your guests will be tired earlier than normal. I would stick with a 6:30-9:30.

BUT… I do not like the idea of having it on a holiday.. many people planned vacations/travel around holidays so you may end up with several people who already have plans and cant make it. Or people who are like me who want to go away spur of the moment but then cant because we have a wedding to attend.

Post # 15
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

If I was a local guest I wouldn’t mind this so much, but if I was coming from out of town I’d probably have to take 2 days off of work (Mon & Tues) so even though Wed is a holiday it’d be a bit of a drag.

If you do decide to do it I’d say get your STD’s out ASAP, because people plan vacations pretty far in advance, and a lot of people travel during that week.

Post # 16
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I just started planning and thought of having the wedding on July 4th…actually doing it that evening, so all of our guests could see the fireworks while we were partying. Ultimately, asking for guests to take Tuesday off to travel and then Thursday off to go home/recover, meant we were asking them to take a lot of time off during the week. I decided on a Sunday wedding, so guests just have to take Monday off.

The topic ‘Tuesday July 3 2012 Wedding Okay if Wednesday is Holiday?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors