Post # 1
First, I want to say that my future hubby and I are not religious (he is a non-practicing catholic and I am nadda). We are getting married in a beautiful old church from the 1800’s that is accepting of everyone. We can do any type of ceremony there, even non-religious.
Here is my question. We are both HUGE fans of Seinfeld. He is crazy about it and knows almost every single episode. In one episode, the “Yadda yadda yadda” episode, it ends at a wedding where the person officiating the marriage ends the ceremony with and “Yadda yadda yadda, I know pronounce you husband and wife”.
I am inserting little touches of Seinfeld into the wedding as a surprise to the groom. Very subtle touches. I was thinking of adding that piece into the ceremony as a surprise. I know not everyone will get it – so I would put something in the program about it. I was gung ho – but one person now has me second guessing myself.
We both have a goofy sense of humor and want to make the day “our own”.
What do you think bees – good idea or bad?
Post # 3
I voted no, but you can take that with a grain of salt because I absolutely despise that show, so that affected my vote lol.
Post # 4
I think for it to work and not really make people … offended? you would need an officiant that could do it humorously and get the point across that it is a joke.
I’m guessing the person who got you second-guessing said something along the lines of ‘it will make everyone think you won’t take marriage seriously’…pffft
I’m a ‘do what makes you happy’ type of person. I would laugh out loud if I saw this in person.
Post # 5
I went to a wedding where they did some of the ceremony like the scene from Princess Bride. I’d say 10% of the people got it, and the other 90% were totally clueless and didn’t think it was funny at all.
Post # 6
- Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY
The ceremony is 10000000% aboout YOU and HIM. The reception is for guest-pleasing. Most guests a) can’t hear you, b) aren’t listening or c) don’t care either way, when’s the bar open?
Do what yo want, especially if it’s subtle.
Post # 7
I say no. Think it’ll confuse your guest. We are a super silly couple & would still think it was odd. Not into funny at ceremonies.
Post # 8
What they said. I hate when people try to deter the couple from what they want. It is YOUR wedding. Contrary to what some people believe, this is not about your guests. I would totally do it. Seinfeld was a hugely popular show and I would suspect most people would get it, but if they don’t who cares? I would definitely get it and think that its hilarious. Putting something in the program is smart, as well as making sure the officiant has the humor to pull something like that off, like the PP stated. If the person is really not into it then it might not come off quite as funny.
Post # 9
Lots of good opinions here – thanks!
@lealorali: I love it – you are 100% right…when is the open bar? We wouldn’t be acting out the entire scene – just slip a line in. So sublte most people will miss it – but Fiance would 100% catch it. I htink I have my answer.
Post # 10
@MrsMRS: It’s your wedding sweetheart, i say do it if it makes you happy.