(Closed) Negotiating Prices – Grandview & Thayer Hotel

posted 6 years ago in New York – Hudson Valley, New York
Post # 3
1949 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m not from there, so I can’t talk about those venues specifically, but I can give you an experience that I had:

I planned my wedding for Aug, and told the hotel that I wanted to spend around $30/head and they quoted me with a price of $33.50, which I accepted.

A few months later, I was planning a dinner for my organization and was going over pricing options. After looking at their menu, I told them that I wanted a chicken dinner, with a salad and a simple dessert, and told them that I couldn’t spend more than $30, and that last year at this even, the price was $27/head. They matched that price no questions asked.

So, I’d say negotiate anyways. Tell them what your limit is and see what they say. The worst they can say is no!

Post # 4
1280 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

my direct experience was this:

the grandview was one of my initial front runners, and when i met with their staff, they told me saturday evenings in the summertime are peak nights so were more or less non-negotiable. BUT they did give me $5/pp off the friday/sunday price w/out me even asking, and they were willing to let the minimum slide a bit if we couldn’t meet it.

the thayer is a little more open to negotiation, but more in the way of giving you more things/not charging for extras they normally would rather than givnig you an outright discount.

but, as anotherbee said, you should at least try. you may be told they can’t do anything for you. you can also try using one as leverage against the other – e.g. tell the grandview that the thayer is offering you x, but your preference is really to book w/the grandview and is there anything they can offer in a similar vein.

Post # 5
238 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

The Grandview does not negotiate price for Saturday nights we tried to get them to go down on the per head cost and they flat out said no.  They require a minimum head count to book, but if you don’t meet that minimum for your final guest count they will credit you back for those people. Basically if you agree to 150 guests and only come up with 125 the difference can be used for upgrades for your reception. 

The topic ‘Negotiating Prices – Grandview & Thayer Hotel’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors