(Closed) New company doesn't offer Mat Leave / FMLA. Considering TTC in 2018 +++

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 16
1168 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Honestly, if the only reason you want a new job is better maternity benefits, I’d stay at your current job.  The flexibility and the fact that they really seem to like you is huge.  I am currently in a similar situation.  My boss left and started his own business and I went with.  My old company had good maternity benefits but my new smaller company is so much more flexible and understanding.  I can work from home, work odd hours, leave early, no questions asked.  This is EVERYTHING to me since I have a 2.5 year old and its so hard to be a slave to a regular 9-5.

Post # 17
1065 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

View original reply
bluegreyeyes :  late to this topic and lots of good points were mentioned but I would be wary of some. I would NOT talk to HR now trying to get some leave policy in writing. Word spreads quickly in a mid size company so one that small, everyone would know you were planning to TTC or assume you’re already pregnant by asking. It’s good to think about this now but you’re a year+ from TTC and it could be more beneficial to focus on yourself/career. Make yourself a more valuable employee they won’t want to let go due to mat leave or someone who can find another good job after mat leave with a new company. Save money now so you can deal either way. 

Does the company have plans for much growth in the next year? Some of those start-ups (especially in IT) can grow suddenly which would mean they’d have to start creating those policies or it would mean you could then qualify for FMLA. You’d have to be at a new company 12 months prior to qualify so that should be factored into your decision to look. Start-ups can also end up getting bought out buy larger companies and then if you were retained you’d fall under their policies. So much can happen between now and then. 

That said, the flexibility is huge. I’m 16 weeks and have lots of it with my job. I’m doing well and have a good mat policy by US standards (12 wks, 100% pay) so even though I don’t always love it, I’ll probably stay until we have baby #2  unless something great comes up. 

Post # 18
8501 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

If you’re not covered by FMLA they don’t even have to hold your position technically.

Short term disability usually pays a percentage of your income for 6 weeks (vaginal delivery) or 8 weeks for csection.

If I thought my job was guaranteed, then I would just start saving up as much as possible and take the leave unpaid. It’s not the end of the world if you’re prepared for it. If you think they might can you, then I’d start looking for positions elsewhere immediately. You need to be working at least a year before you’ll be covered by FMLA.

Post # 19
2031 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

STD usually only offers a portion of your salary and a lot of times you are responsible to pay your company’s portion they put towards health insurance (if your company offers health insurance and you use it).  My friend works at a company with no maternity leave, and her colleague had a baby and was able to save up a lot of vacation time and sick days to use while out for having the baby.  Another thing to consider depending on the type of work, maybe you could do some work from home and work from home after you run out of vacation time.  You’ll probably feel ok enough to do some work after a couple weeks, as long as you don’t have to move around a ton and are still able to provide care for you baby (newborns sleep a ton).

I’m pretty sure that a company can’t legally fire you because you are pregnant.  They have to let you take the time off (they just don’t have to pay you).   

Post # 20
1253 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
mgbser :  That’s incorrect. A company does not have to provide you with time off if they do not qualify for FMLA. You can save your vacation days/sick days etc but if after 2 weeks you’re out of vacation and don’t want to come back yet, they are more than able to fire you.

Post # 21
10283 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

The laws (i.e., regulations if you will) re maternity leave are on the chopping block to be rolled back so that no one will benefit from them anymore, so I wouldn’t worry about that. It might not even be a benefit soon except as a recruitment tool for bigger companies.

Instead, I’d keep my eye on if republicans roll back the Obamacare provision (which Trump sort of already did but no word on how it’s being implemented yet so fingers crossed) to protect pregnancy as not a preexisting condition, because if they do, and if insurance co no longer need to pay for pregnancies, that’s potentially 20-30k out of pocket, depending on the delivery type, obvi.

To that end, being where you are right now and being grandfathered in to the type of coverage you have right now could be a huge bonus down the road. Esp with a smaller co that could change their policy to not cover pregnancy if they don’t have to anymore. 

Post # 22
2758 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

You need to work at a job that has FMLA for a full year before you can personally qualify for the benefits, so I’d get on that ASAP.

Also, make sure you have a good OB/GYN who is willing to write the note for your FMLA while you are still pregnant if things go wrong or at least a PPO so you can shop around. My hairdresser needed to quit her job because her OB wouldn’t write the note unless she had a life threatening complication but this poor lady was in excruciating pain from sciatica. 

The topic ‘New company doesn't offer Mat Leave / FMLA. Considering TTC in 2018 +++’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors