(Closed) New Diamond after 4 months??

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
2854 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Does he not say anything because he doesn’t care, or because it’s a sore subject? I’ve found my Fiance attaches MUCH less emotional significance to my ring(s) than I do.

If it’s the first, I would treat it like the two of you handle any other big purchase that one of you wants to make. 

Post # 4
10288 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

This is something that needs to be discussed with your husband. I would never dream of going behind DH’s back and upgrading my ring. Then again, I also wouldn’t be looking for an upgrade 4 months in.

Post # 5
887 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I definitely wouldn’t go behind his back and do it. I asked my Darling Husband what he thought and he said if he hadn’t been able to buy me the ring of my dreams that he wouldn’t mind if I upgraded…unless it had been a custom design that he had come up with. My Darling Husband also said that he wasn’t attached to my ring like I am. You have to do what works for both of you– sounds like you need to have a straight-forward convo with him! Good luck!

Post # 6
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Yeah I dont think this is a good idea at all.  Your husband got you the ring he wanted to get for you, and now you want to upgrade?   

Maybe I’m in the minority, but when my then-boyfriend asked me what I wanted, I said “oval in white gold” not “one carat”.  I told him the shape and style and at no point put a price on it by telling him the size of the diamond.  Ouch.

Post # 8
14486 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

If this is a really good deal now, and you can afford, I say why not.  4 months, 1 year, 5 year, whatever, the end result is the same… why pass up a great deal and pay more for it later. 

Post # 9
3000 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

If he’s not against it and doesn’t really care, like you said, I see no harm in getting a great deal on a bigger diamond that you can use. A lot of women upgrade. Some sooner than others, yet I don’t see why you should have to wait a certain amount of time to upgrade.

The only thing I would warn you about is to make sure the quality of the diamond pendant is good. It might seem like a good deal, but often times lesser quality diamonds are used for necklaces so it might make a difference if you’re using it in your ring. Just something to consider.

Post # 10
804 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Well if it is a really good deal, and he’s okay with spending the money, it doesn’t hurt to buy it and use it as a pendant while you make your decision. 

Post # 11
1798 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

If you can afford it and your H is okay with it, the buy it. There’s nothing wrong with having the ring you really want

Post # 12
50 posts
Worker bee

I say go for it if he’s ok with it! I’m getting 2.2 carats and I’m already thinking about upgrading to 2.5! I’m a brat though :-/ lol

Post # 13
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Maybe get the pendant now to get the deal, and save it. Wear it a few years then approach the subject of chnaging the diamond on the ring. It feels a little insensitive to do it so soon, but to each their own. If he has no problems, then go for it. BUt I would want to be sure he didn;t feel hurt and just hasn;t said so. That’s just my opinion.

Post # 14
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

 I agree with @Cupcake2012:  get the pendant now to get the deal, and save it to upgrade later. maybe wait until the first anniversary at least. I do think 4 months is a little too soon to upgrade.  

also, you say he doesn’t make much money, but he got you a carat? that is by no means a small diamond. a carat can be pretty pricey. you should be happy that he spent his hard earned money on his love for you. I think you need to take a second and appreciate it for what it means. 

The topic ‘New Diamond after 4 months??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors