(Closed) New Here, Waiting, & Driving Myself Crazy!

posted 8 years ago in Waiting
Post # 3
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I’ve never told my husband this, but the ring he got me was NOTHING what I’d always expected, but I loved it. I’m not saying you shouldn’t talk to him, but, maybe you’d like the ring he would get you whether you realize it or not. I dunno, I would just be happy that I was engaged! 🙂 ya know? 😀

Post # 4
1075 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

First off, welcome to the hive.

Secondly, have you ever brought it up to him, when you all were talking about rings?

Guys are clueless for the most part.  Since the princess cut is usually the one being advertised all the time, he prob just assumes that’s what all women will like.  That or he doesn’t even know that other cuts exist!

Since you don’t want to bring it up out of the blue, so you aren’t going back on your word to never bring it up, maybe wait until a Helzberg or Jareds commercial comes on.  Make a comment about the ring they are showing.  Maybe something like “Oh, thats a really pretty ring, but I’ve always been a fan of the _________ ring.”  Then maybe he will get a clue.

G’luck.  I’m right there with ya in the waiting boat

Post # 5
603 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

LOL I literally just had this happen to me..I was on BFs laptop history and saw that he was on Blue Nile doing what I assume is ring shopping (the link to the shopping basket was shown along with 7-8 other links) but I NEVERRR clicked on any b/c I want to be surprised! I would go with WendyS328’s suggestion.. 🙂

Post # 6
561 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I agree about dropping hints. Or you could just mention how particular you are about jewelry? Or maybe how a different shape of diamond would look best on your hands?  Can you comment on one of your friend’s rings?   My Boyfriend or Best Friend knows I am pretty particular and asked for a written report of what I wanted after I tried on some rings, but even if he gets something different I am sure it will be nice and I’ll love it.     

Post # 7
1106 posts
Bumble bee

Welcome to the board! I think im in the perpetual waiting list here so feel free to ask for support from the rest of us waiting bees. We are always here to listen! I would also agree with Wendy.. make a comment that isnt so obvious, guys are really clueless sometimes lol!  

Post # 8
2410 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Welcome! I love Wendy’s idea about waiting for a commercial to come on and fawning over a ring you like to give him an idea while still being indirect enough that he feels in control.

Post # 9
1066 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

lol, I would so drop hints, he probably doesnt even realize about the different cuts.  Maybe something like your friend got a princess cut engagement ring, and its really pretty, but you love the round diamonds because they sparkle more, or something like that… OR if you have a close friend that can talk to him, she can pretend she’s trying to find out what kind of ring he’s getting you, and then steer him in the right direction..

Post # 10
3063 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I believe if you have a specific style of ring in mind then you should tell him. I was very forward because the ring I want is unique/untraditional and he wouldn’t have picked it out himself. He knows the setting, the stone size/type/shape, that I want it yellow gold, what kind of band I want to fit with it, my ring size… everything. I have photos of the exact ring on our computer to e-mail the jeweler whenever he’s ready to get it made and pop the question. For me, knowing the ring won’t ruin the surprise or make the proposal less special. I doubt letting him know what shape you want will bother/offend him. It could only make the search easier as well as the waiting for you, in my opinon.

The topic ‘New Here, Waiting, & Driving Myself Crazy!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors