(Closed) New puppy – not so new puppy habits ! Any tips? &long post.

posted 7 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
532 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@dcrr0528: She may not like being in an enclosed create, especially if the breeder/puppy seller never had her in one. I would recommend leaving the door open at first – but given you are using a crate it probably defeats the purpose. 

Also, try a warm water bottle under the blanket. It gives her something warm to snuggle again. 

If she passes out during the day, take careful note of where – where is she sleeping durign the day. how does it differ from the crate? on a soft chair? Give her another blanket.  with the other dogs? See if you can take her stuffed dog and pet it along one of the others. 

Post # 4
482 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

crate training is perfectly fine- you have to be really really consistant with your interactions with your pup.

When she frets, ignore her completely, do not soothe her, do not call her name, do not look at her, do not say a word.

If she is in the room with you, sit and do something extremely relaxing, quiet and mundane like reading a book.

Let her fret for as long as it takes, when she gives in (20 minutes/hour/4 hours/24 hours) and settled down and stops (especially if she sighs) go over, intract with her, play with her, call her name.

The only exception to this is taking her out to the toilet, this should be done prefereably when shes quiet- preemtively take her to the toileting area (outside/ grass/ toileting sheets) and again, hang around till she goues to the toilet and the moment she toilets, big big fuss and play with her…

Do this over and over and over-

best of luck 🙂

Post # 5
2815 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I’ve heard putting a ticking clock wrapped in a shirt or something is supposed to help. My dog hated his crate too.  I took the top off for a few days and that seemed to help.  

@cacamillis: This is excellent advice!

Post # 7
124 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Both of our pups were hard to crate train, the second worse than the first. She was a mini weenie. What we ended up doing in the end was putting her crate right beside the other dogs and it was an a-ha moment! Why hadn’t we done that sooner….too many sleepless nights! Best of luck, just stick with it, I know it is hard!!!

Post # 8
1013 posts
Bumble bee

@dragonlover: <— This

Also before you crate her ignore her for 5 minutes.  It preps them for being alone. 

The topic ‘New puppy – not so new puppy habits ! Any tips? &long post.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors