Post # 1
I grew up with dogs, never had problems with dog allergies, my husband occasionally will be allergic to a dog, but for the most part is fine. My mom’s pug spent the night last week at our place, neither one of us had an issue. The pug sheds like nobody’s business, yet there was zero stuffiness, we were fine.
We got a new puppy yesterday, and my husband had mild allergies that night and woke up with them. I’ve never had issues with dogs before, but even my nose is stuffy! He’s wire haired and tiny, I feel like both of us shouldn’t be getting this reaction! I do know he got a bath a couple days ago and the girl used hair conditioner, which gave him serious dandruff, so I’m hoping that’s what doing this to us. Hubbie’s getting a HEPA filter now, so hopefully it helps. Anyone else had an experience like this? What did you do? We don’t want to live with allergies!
Post # 3
If I were you I would probably give the dog away before I got too attached. Allergies suck, I would not want to have to put up with that for 10-15 years.
My brother/mom have allergies and we had a dog with hair rather than fur, so that worked out alright. But we wouldn’t have been able to have other breeds in our home.
Post # 4
@abirdword: I would just take allergy pills or get shots. I love dogs and would not live my life without one. It depends how important having a dog is to you. I wouldn’t even consider giving my dog up but everyone is different and has different priorities.
Post # 5
I too have never had an allergy to dogs, but as an adult I’ve found myself allergic to just a few. My cousin’s Boston Terrier, and my brother’s lab all bother me, but plenty of other dogs are fine.
Give it a few days, and if it doesn’t improve then you have to decide if you want to give the dog up or live with allergy pills.
Post # 6
@abirdword: I’m also allergic to new animals! But once you get enough exposure (for me, it’s about a month of misery–and no taking allergy medicine!), the allergy symptoms go away.
Post # 7
Give it a little time! My Darling Husband is always allergic to a new animal for a couple weeks in the beginning. Once he’s had some exposure, the allergies die away and he’s just fine.