(Closed) New to Chicago Board- 2013 Bride- Venue Questions

posted 7 years ago in Chicago
Post # 3
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My sister got married at Prarie Production!  It is beautiful.  My Fiance actually asked if we could get married there too.  LOL

How many guests are you having?  I know some of the venues you listed can fit a little over a hundred so that should cut the list down.  Loft on Lake was our second choice.  Great space that you can do lots to. 

Post # 4
1830 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m a Chicago girl but chose to get married in Wisconsin as Chicago is a very expensive place to have a wedding.   I haven’t been to any of those venues but if you want to see some more pics of one of those places, check out Miss Sparkler’s post on where she chooses the Chicago Illuminating Company for her venue.

http://www.weddingbee.com/2011/03/08/chicago-venues-3/#more-188162

It looks absolutely beautiful!

Post # 6
2192 posts
Buzzing bee

@Miss Terrier:  Than PP should def work for your wedding.  The owners are great.  My sister loved them and recommends the space to everyone.  What was nice  that their front courtyard was used for cocktail hour(she was married in August), low lounge furniture was brought in and white gauzy curtains separated the front from the ceremony space.  And of course candles everywhere!  We imagined a Miami hotel like space.  Lots of white, candles and touches of green/silver which were her colors.  Honestly if I got married first I would of chosen PP too. Hope that helps!

@Ree723:  Chi Illuminating was on the top of my list.  Until I saw the $7000 rental fee to use the space!!  Could not do it!

Post # 8
2192 posts
Buzzing bee

@Miss Terrier:  Her husband and Brother-In-Law actually made all the furniture.  It was surprisingly easy.  And they bought a bunch of white ottomans from IKEA as well that are now the BIL’s coffee table. 🙂  And the white fabric was bought home from the Phippines by the Mother-In-Law, way cheap.  Again now gracing the BIL’s condo.  And in PP there is a large white ottoman if I remember correctly.  Turned out gorgeous, very modern and minamilist.  Everyone loved it!

Post # 9
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

prairie production was great! I visited with my Fiance and it was my second choice. Everything there is painted white, the owners were great (they are there all day). And Michael offered to do our wedding photography for $1,500 (a steal). The reason I didn’t choose them is because the space is shaped like an “L.” They have enough room in the main space for ceremony and for the number of guests that you said you would have. However, the area that you would use for a “lounge” is in the other section of the “L” so you will feel a little bit removed. You could definitely still see the dance floor, just wouldn’t be sitting right on it. Maybe that’s the look you want, but just something to think about! All street parking, so if you want valet, you have to bring it in yourself. No area parking lots. Of course, you could get around the trouble by renting a trolley bus to cart your guests around!

Also, don’t forget at these lofts, you have to cater in EVERYTHING yourself…talking $100+ pp to start.

We also visited Greenhouse Loft and immediately scratched it off the list. It’s a nice space, but was super-organic-focused. I mean, I think it’s great to be “green” and everything, but they said they would only source us local organic beers and wines. Maybe I’m snotty, but I prefer to be able to serve my guests whatever I want! Plus, their space had a big room divider right down the middle of it, so it felt like 2 spaces put together rather than one big cohesive space.

I heard good things about Salvage One, but they were all booked up! Heard they are booked through 2013, so hurry if you want to get that place!

We ruled out a lot of the other places on your list because we are having 150+ and felt they would be too small.

Ultimately, we booked ARTRevolution. It is a new space, so their website leaves something to be desired, but maybe they will have some more stuff up by the time you get here in December. It’s 6,500sq ft and they threw in a bunch of stuff for free for us that we would normally have to cater in, saving us a bunch of $$!

Post # 11
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I’m targeting $100pp for all the rentals and food with a plated, sit-down dinner. My wedding planner tells me that it is totally doable. There are lots of caterers who will basically work within whatever your budget is. If you want to splurge, places like Blue Plate are considered top-of-the-line and will cost about 150-190 (check out their website, it has a pretty good menu). Actually, a lot of the places you listed have preferred caterer lists, so that’s always a great place to start.

We’re right in the middle of reaching out to caterers. My wedding planner says that most caterers won’t give you a “real” quote until you book the place. Personally, I hate dealing with negotiations–so I put my wedding planner on it. Waiting to hear back and super-excited!

Do you have a local planner? I bet it would help out a lot since you are not in Chicago! Loft-type places don’t have designated wedding planners the way the most banquet halls and hotels do, so I’m finding that having one is totally worth the money. I’m completely with you on the whole no-hotel-reception idea. I checked out one country club, one banquet hall and ruled both out immediately.

The other thing we’re doing is buying our own alcohol. A lot of my family doesn’t drink, so paying for an open bar through the caterer just didn’t make economic sense. Prairie Production and ARTRevolution and all the caterers we’re looking at definitely allow us to bring in our own alcohol. The caterer basically provides a “bar package,” which includes bartenders, mixers, soda, barware, etc., and we just bring the alcohol. It costs about $700-800, so I think it’s a good deal. I’m planning to use Binny’s, a local liquor shop. They will deliver and will even buy back unconsumed alcohol (although, I think I may keep it!!).

Oh! We also looked at Aeree Loft (Room 1520). That space was very nice too, if you want to add it to your list! Their bridal suite was a lot nicer than Prairie Production’s. They also have a Facebook page if you want to check out pictures that aren’t on their website.

I know your list keeps growing, but I also saw an ad in Chicago Social Brides for Kitchen of Chicago. We ruled it out because it was too small for us, but it looks really neat and cheaper on the rental price.

One of my coworkers got married at Gallery 1028 and said it was awesome. I say just check out all the spaces you’re intersted in and pick the one that’s the most “you”! Good luck! PM me if you want any more info.

Post # 12
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Hi! I am getting married at the Grand Piazza 2012 Summer. It is one the most affordable venues for a Saturday night in the city. The caterer is Levy Restuarants and its just under 100 per person including alchohol. Feel free to message me with any questions. It is such a lovely venue and all the rentals, linens, chairs are included.

Post # 13
521 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012 - Salvage One, Chicago

I’m getting married at Salvage One in May.  I’ve heard that they want to significantly raise their rates– like from the current $6500 to $8500.  It also books up WAY in advance- We booked May 26, 2012 back in September, 2010.  At that time, all of 2011 was booked! 

That said, I am incredibly excited to get married there.  They will move whatever pieces you want to have in a certain space, set up the room however… You also have the complete space, courtyard, 1st floor and 2nd floor, so  we’re doing everything there, ceremony, cocktails, and reception, and we won’t be in the same space twice.  The vibe is cool, very unique, and we’re bringing in all of our own vendors.  We’re managing to keep the catering, booze, cake and rentals between $100-125pp.

Post # 14
18 posts
Newbee

If you like the idea of Salvage One, also check out Architectural Artifacts.  That was our dream location but we didn’t want to wait until 2013 for a date.  Beware of summer dates though as they do not have AC.

http://architecturalartifacts.com/atriumevents/

Post # 15
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I was in a wedding that was at Loft on Lake.  The only bad thing was that you can hear the trains run during the ceremony. 

The topic ‘New to Chicago Board- 2013 Bride- Venue Questions’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors