Post # 1
Has anyone had a destination wedding in New Zealand?! I love the Earth porn of NZ and envision a moody, romantic event. However, I feel overwhelmed at the thought of planning a wedding on the other side of the world…Has anyone pulled this off?!
Post # 2
I grew up in New Zealand but married and live abroad. I miss it soooo much. If you get married there you will never regret it. It is a fantastic place for a honeymoon. I hope you can pull it off. Here is one site I came across that may give you a few ideas.
Post # 3
Where are you planning from? I would imagine unless you are somewhere close like AUS it would be more of an elopement than a destination wedding. That is a very long flight from many places, would your friends and family attend?
New Zealand is beautiful though!
Post # 4
Thank you so much for the site recommendation! I’ve checked it out and it will be a huge help!
We have never been to NZ but find it to be an absolutely gorgeous country. We actually even have plans of immigrating to NZ one day in the not so distant future…First step though, the wedding!
Post # 5
We’re in Southern California so it will be quite the challenge but we have a date of June 2020 which gives me plenty of time to plan. We also plan on visiting several times before the wedding to get things in line…
We have a relatively small group that will be coming, no more than 15 people. Of those, we’ll be paying for 8 including ourselves. It’s a small group but all very close family and friends who would fly across the world for our wedding (in a heartbeat!) and can easily afford it. We’ve discussed our desire for a destination wedding and all are on board.
Im trying to be as realistic as possible but I know this will be a HUGE undertaking!
Post # 6
DH and I had a second reception in NZ (wedding was in USA, we live in EU). Even with his family being in NZ, we planned 80% of it from abroad. His dad used to be a caterer so he did the remaining 20% food portion, we just planned the menu with him — but we basically interacted with him as if he was a regular caterer for that so it was basically the same.
Happy to discuss details via PM if you’d like 🙂
Post # 7
So I keep trying to PM you but it’s giving me an error message! I’ll keep trying…
Post # 8
You may want to consider a local wedding, and a New Zealand honeymoon, which will not only be easier to plan, but will save you thousands in air fare (you mentioned covering expenses for guests) AND relieve the guests of the burden of that flight. It is a very long flight and you’d be asking an awful lot of your guests to make the journey. People will tell you they want to come to your destination wedding but they don’t always mean it.
Post # 9
I live in New Zealand! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I can recommend a few local companies that could help you if needed, and also have plenty of knowledge from my own travels around here if you need ideas on where to stay, where to eat and travel times etc etc. The biggest question would be where in New Zealand you’re planning on going – if you’re looking online most of the tourism shots are from the South Island (and therefore most around Queenstown/Wanaka). A lot of the Wedding Planning companies in that area frequently host destination/elopments so using them and going along that route would likely make your planning a little less stressful!
Post # 10
I’d be very careful of planning under the assumption that all of your small guest list can afford it and would attend in a heartbeat. You only have to search through past destination wedding threads to see the, “I gave my family 2 years to plan for my destination wedding but now my mom can’t come” posts. As long as you let go of the expectation that everyone you invite will be able to attend than I think you’re good.
Post # 11
Lauren Sage Hayes :
Another New Zealander here. Much of the scenery in NZ is pretty hard to beat, but not all of the cities and towns are equal. They all have character, but if you want amazing views and beaches and/or intense greenery, you’d probably want to go either to the South island or the far north of the North island.
Time of year is also really important, although it doesn’t guarantee you good weather. This is the same anywhere, of course, but NZ is such a small island that it can be somewhat unpredictable.
DH and I got married in the Wairarapa, which is kind of like ‘wine country’ just north of Wellington, which was where we lived. If you have any questions about specific places, let us know!
Post # 12
The key to destination weddings is don’t sweat the small stuff. Make sure you have the basics, food, booze, entertainment and let the venue do the rest. Also find a venue that will cover most of it. I did a destination wedding at a ski resort and they did everything but the flowers, clothing, hair/makeup. It was nice because I had one contact for the caterer, baker, DJ, and venue.