(Closed) Newly Engaged & Clueless…Help!

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 4
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

All I can say is … start trying them on! You wouldn’t believe how much clearer it becomes when you start actually wearing them. There were dresses I thought were AWESOME when I saw them in magazines (thanks to great lighting/models with perfect bodies/Photoshop/etc.), only to find them just meh in person. Trying them on can be a HUGE revelation!

CONGRATULATIONS, and good luck! You’ve come to the right place!

Post # 5
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Best wishes! Get ready for the mayhem to begin… lol.

But seriously, Weddingbee is the place to well, "bee"! Start reading through the blogs, boards & gallery and I’m sure you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for!

Post # 6
216 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Yay! Welcome! My best advice would be to take only a couple of people shopping with you–people whom you really trust to give you kind, honest opinions, and people who will NOT operate with their own bias.  Taking a gaggle of women is rarely productive.  Congratulations, sounds like fun!

Post # 7
1896 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

Welcome and congrats — and prepare to become addicted to the ‘bee!  I’d suggest visiting a few dress shops to try things on…and be open-minded to all styles until you’re able to see how they look on your body!  Best of luck to you!

Post # 8
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

Welcome, to WB!  As a short bride (only 5’3") I found that empire waisted dresses gave me a lot of length.  Because the cut is higher, it makes the rest of your body look much longer.  Also, I have heard that puffy gowns can really overwhelm little frames, but since you don’t want that anyway…  My best advice, though, is to try on dresses!  It’s a lot fun and you’ll learn what works for you!

Post # 9
84 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2018 - Still Looking!

Definitely I’d echo others’ advice to try on a bunch of dresses and see what works best.  But since you’re not going entirely formal and traditional, I’d suggest looking beyond just bridal stores.  A friend got married in a fabulous, simple-but-modern white linen dress from Neiman Marcus, and of course many simply-dressed brides swear by J Crew.  As a bonus, you often save many $$$ over the cost of bridal-salon dresses!

Post # 11
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Congrats! I was very overwhelmed when I first was engaged (and I still do get overwhelmed too!) For dresses- I just searched online through the many styles…

http://www.wai-ching.com

There is an etsy seller who has a lot of affordable dresses Exquisite Gowns shop

I became so overwhelmed and on dress overload, that my friends came to town to help. I literally was like- I refuse to go all over God and Creation to find THE dress. I made a list of wedding dress shops within a ten mile radius- and I found THE DRESS merely five miles from my house. It is so convenient too because with the fittings I am a hop skip and a jump away! But it was just by chance that it worked out that way. But I had combed magazines, online, I went to six dress shops…. and the dress  styles I had originally thought I wanted- I wound up getting something entirely different!

I am petite too. I am 5’1", 104-108lbs. It was so frustrating walking into countless shops where the dresses were very long and pretty wide, the consultants would twist the dress behind me and peg these monstrous clamps. I could never accurately picture myself in many of the dresses. So now I am having a dress custom made to me…

Good luck! Have fun! =o) 

Post # 13
360 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - Westwind YWCA camp

Congratulations on your engagement!

I’m 5’2" – I totally know what you mean about finding a dress for your height.

Do you know yet if you want lace, beads, some lace, all silk, ruffles… ?  The sky is endless!

My best advice to you is to narrow things down by looking at the gallery here and a few wedding magazines (typical, but that’s why they’re there!).  Once you find a designer you like, or are leaning towards, it might be easier to narrow things down more to get exactly what you want.

Good luck!  The dress trying on process was so much fun!  You’ll love it!! 🙂 

The topic ‘Newly Engaged & Clueless…Help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors