(Closed) Newlywed’s W-4 Form?

posted 8 years ago in Married Life
Post # 3
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

There is a worksheet (Two Earner worksheet) on the 2nd page on the W-4 form to determine how much should be withheld.  Usually, the spouse that makes the lowest amount of money should have 0 exemptions on the W-4 and the other spouse should take all the exemptions that you qualify for.  I would try to change it this year for one so you don’t forget and 2 because otherwise you will almost certainly have way too much tax withheld during the year.  PM me if you have more questions (I did taxes for a few years)!

Post # 4
944 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Uh, I didn’t even think about that.  We already live together and own a home so we are just going to keep the W-4 setup we have now.  I think it’ll change when we have kids though.  Can’t you still just claim one on your paycheck and it be okay?  I guess I don’t know.  I guess maybe ask your benefits/payroll department and see if they know?  Or a bee on here knows and makes it easier for you. 😉  I would say you do need to at least fill out a new one with the name change but he doesn’t.  Also, if you have an accountant they should be able to help you…or at least call someone and they can tell you maybe?

The topic ‘Newlywed’s W-4 Form?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors