(Closed) NICU & I’m Pregnant on DH Channel

posted 8 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’ve never seen the show, but I work in a hospital, and it can be so sad going into the NICU.  I admire the doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc who are able to work on such small patients.  It’s definitely a very challenging environment – both medically and emotionally.

Post # 5
2538 posts
Sugar bee

My baby was an Angel Baby and I can’t imagine delivering a baby, meeting, and then saying goodbye like that. At least we went into labor knowing our Moose was gon, not that it made it easier, but we didn’t labor for hours with that exciting feeling.

I hope I don’t see promos for the NICU show.

Post # 7
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I’ve never seen the NICU show but I volunteer in the NICU once a week and it can be an emotional rollercoaster ride.  Luckily these days the survival rate is very high!  But even when the baby lives and goes on to have a great life I know it’s still a really hard experience to have a baby in there for any length of time.  But let me tell you they are some good snugglers : )

I watch “I’m pregnant and…” every now and then.  Sometimes it’s really inspiring (people who have disabilities that they overcome, etc.) but some times I get frustrated because it seems to me that it was irresponsible to get pregnant in some of the situations (ie I’m pregnant and Homeless).  I don’t know these people personally so I obviously don’t know the whole situation.  But obviously given my work in the NICU I’m a real baby person and I get sad when a new innocent life is brought into a situation that is not nearly ideal.

Post # 8
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

I can’t watch NICU, it makes me sad and scared. I love I’m pregnant and though.

Post # 10
2562 posts
Sugar bee

I work in an NICU – and while it can be tough, I whole-heartedly believe it can be the most inspiring and beautiful place to work. There is a certain amount of wonder in knowing a baby can be born as early as 24 weeks gestation, and you can keep that baby alive, and sometimes they can live a full and normal life. I keep in touch with parents of babies I have taken care of for a long time after they go home, and it is so inspiring to see these teeny tiny little babies grow and develop, and see what you have had a part in giving that family.

Post # 13
2538 posts
Sugar bee

@Ms Mini: Thanks for working in there MsMini. Our first nurse while we were in the hospital really helped us without doing much. She was just nice and caring and I will always remember her. Hopefully, I can carry a living baby and she’ll be there. What I’m trying to say is you really make a difference to people and you may never help me, but thanks.

Post # 14
2562 posts
Sugar bee

@TheFutureMcBride: Thanks for saying that! It is wonderful to hear, because we all really try hard to do our best for our patients, and nurses tend to get a bad rap sometimes!

@msmonicka: I know for most NICU nurses, keeping up with past patients is what helps keep us going, because it is a HARD job some days (we have all had to go to the back room to have a cary during the shift on occasion). Knowing that families come out okay is really important (I even keep in touch with a family who I cared for their baby – who fought the hardest of any baby I have cared for – who still died – and they have now had another baby and are doing so well). 

Post # 16
2395 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

My little brother spent 3 months in the NICU when he was born and was one out of 5 babies I think that made it out…That show hits way too close to home for me, so I can’t watch it. 🙁

The topic ‘NICU & I’m Pregnant on DH Channel’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors