(Closed) No Idea where to go…$5000 budget

posted 7 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 17
3194 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Yennifer:  well, we went to a sandals in St Lucia and it was awesome. i think we paid $2600 for the whole trip for the two of us.

Post # 18
3563 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

We stayed in the Stargrove Piton Villa in St. Lucia.  It’s not an all-inclusive, but we had a house to ourselves, a housekeeper who stopped by every morning, and a personal cab driver.  We also had a private pool.  The Sugar Beach resort was less than 5 minutes down the hill by car, and we were able to plan something everyday we were there. We cooked our own dinners a few nights in the house, and went to different restaurants. 

Here’s a list of the things we did:

-Visited Soufriere to shop

-Went fishing with a local fisherman and learned how they hand fish. 

-We went to the volcano and did the mud bath in the volcanic water

-We went to the Botanical Gardens and Diamond Waterfall

-We hiked the Gros Piton and had lunch in the park along the trail.  You have to make a reservation to eat at this little place on the trail, but it was BY FAR the best meal we had if you want to try traditional St. Lucian food. 

-We toured the Rum Distillery 

-We went snorkeling 3 times at Sugar Beach, and spent many afternoons drinking at the resort and listening to reggae bands

-We ate at Hotel Chocolat, as well as Sugar Beach Restaurants and in some places in Soufriere. 

Everyone we encountered in St. Lucia was incredibly nice and helpful, although you will come across a few pushy salesmen and people looking to “help” you for tips.  We felt very safe there.  Sugar beach was awesome and even though we weren’t guests there, we were able to enjoy the activities and we felt welcomed there. 

Total, we probably ended up spending about $5K for the week.  About $1,500 of that was the plane tickets. 

Post # 19
3563 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I wanted to add…if you stay in the south carribean, you won’t have to worry about hurricanes.  A hurricane hasn’t hit St. Lucia in over 30 years. 

Also, if you do decide on St. Lucia, stay in the south/southwest part.  The nearby volcano prevents mosquitos and poisonous snakes in that area.  The northern part of the island has many deadly snakes. 

Post # 20
509 posts
Busy bee

@Yennifer:  

We travel a lot. Since you’re on the east coast I assume (your thingy says New Jersey) , anything in the Caribbean is relatively quick flight and can be inexpensive. We just got back from Grand Caymen, we stayed at the Ritz in an ocean front room and with airfare and hotel it was only $3k (not including meals which were pricey). Nicest people of any Island I’ve been to! We’ve also been to Costa Rica, Aruba, Bahamas, and Dominican Republic together. I’ve also been to St Thomas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico and Cancun.

For Caribbean, I would still like to go to Belize and Turks and Caicos. I hated Jamaica, the food was terrible, the water wasn’t as pretty as other places, the people were friendly but you couldn’t go off property and the resorts weren’t as nice as other islands I’ve been to. I also didn’t really like Dominican Republic for similar reasons. I love Costa Rica, I would go every year, we stayed at the Four Seasons and it was stunning, not sure if that would be out of the budget. We also rented a house once there which was less expensive, but don’t rule out Costa Rica, it’s one of my favorite places in the world. Also loved Aruba and Caymen and would go back. I think overall for your budget I would go with Costa Rica or Aruba out of the places I’ve been to, but again I would also like to go to Belize and Turks and Caicos.

I only listed Caribbean because of the budget but also some places in Europe are stunning too!

Post # 21
140 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I would highly recommend Aruba. We went on a wonderful vacation there. Beautiful beaches, relaxing, great food/drink, and an easy flight (depending on where you live, I suppose).

Post # 22
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2014

We just booked the new Sandals in Grenada, it opened yesterday and looks and sounds awesome. We are flying from Florida and staying for 7 nights for around 6k, but we got a mid-level room on the beach. You can get a cheaper room with flights for around 5k. I was torn between Grenada and St.Lucia but decided to try something less traveled and further from home. Sandals can be a little pricey but this new location has 9 restaurants incuding a steakhouse and sushi place and people have already posted positive reviews. Good luck deciding!!

Post # 23
2584 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Go to Barcelona! They have a great mix of history, culture, AND beaches! Plus it’s relatively inexpensive. Good luck!

Post # 24
133 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Somewhere very similar to bora bora that would fit your budget is cocobay resort in Antigua, it  has crystal clear water and little cottages over looking the ocean for rooms, it’s so beautiful! I wish it would’ve fit our honeymoon budget because it was my first choice.  

Post # 25
707 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2004

@Yennifer:  St. Lucia! Fiance and I just booked our honeymoon at the Sandals Grande. All inclusive with airfare was a little over $5000

Post # 26
1876 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

OMG do Costa Rica! We LOVED it, and I would honeymoon there in a second if we hadn’t already gone. Here are a few hotels for you to look into, and these DEF have the “wow” factor.

The Springs – This is in the rain forest of Costa Rica, facing a beautiful volcano. It’s in the town of La Fortuna, which is a popular spot for tourists, but the town does not feel “touristy”. There are SO many things to do (hiking, ziplining, etc) OR you could just hang out at this hotel all day. It is seriously gorgeous (they filmed the Bachelor there!) and they have a million spring pools for you to lay around in.

If you’d rather go to the beach I would look at Manual Antonio or Guanacasta.

Westin Playa Conchol– This is on the Pacific side of Costa Rica, not far at all from the LIR airport. Tons to do in the area, and you also have the relaxing beach.

I haven’t been to Manuel Antonio myself, but a lot of my friends have and if I went back I would go there.

Post # 27
1876 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Oh and I saw another poster said the beaches in Costa Rica aren’t the type you lay around in – that’s not true at all (at least in my experience). The beaches were beautiful and perfect for sun bathing and relaxing. If you want beach definetly look into Manual Antonio or the Guanacasta region, it’ll have everything you want.

Post # 28
509 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@JrzyGurl:  I agree – I always go to Guanacasta when I go and lay on the beach all day, it’s gorgeous.

Post # 29
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I agree with other posters that if you can manage to do Hawaii within your budget, it is perfect. I am actually currently vacationing on the Big Island.  We rented a condo in Kailua-Kona so it is cheaper than a hotel and we can make our own breakfasts, pack lunches for while we are out during the day, and it feels more private than a hotel. Another place that would be cheaper that I have been is Belize.  Check out The Inn at Robert’s Grove. It was rated as one of the most romantic affordable places in the world. It had beautiful beaches and great rooms, amazing food and they could arrange any excursions you wanted (snorkeling, wading through the rainforest, etc).

Post # 30
407 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014 - Morton Arboretum

Jamaica was amazing, we stayed at the couples resort Tower Isle.  You hould check it out.  Well within your budget.  I think from Chicago it was $3300 for two for 9 days and 8 nights. 

The topic ‘No Idea where to go…$5000 budget’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors