(Closed) No Peonies for May 2012!!

posted 6 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

What about Old Garden Roses?  They look really similar and hold up better.

Post # 5
344 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I would get garden roses for most of your arrangements, but get peonies for your own bouquet… this is something that I am thinking of doing myself so it won’t be ridiculously expensive.

Post # 6
3520 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

If you have a fancy grocery store like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, you should talk to them and see if they will have them.  We always have peonies in shops in May.

Post # 7
5890 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2012

look at yves piaget roses.  very similar.

Post # 8
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I should have read your whole post where she already suggested them, lol.

I wanted Peonies so bad as well and when I brought in my ideas to my florest without even knowing it most of my pictures were of Old Garden Roses. 

Post # 9
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Hm…I’m going to see my florist tomorrow.  I’m going to ask her about the peonies.  She told me that the first week in June was the perfect weekend for them.  You aren’t that far away from me, date wise.

Post # 10
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Garden roses are definitely a great option! Especially for the centerpieces, most people won’t be able to tell them apart anyway, and even if they do, garden roses are still lovely. 

Post # 11
1810 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I think Garden roses are great alternative! I would also check out wholeblossoms.com I’ve heard good things about them as well!

Post # 12
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Have you looked at other sources?  Since you’re in Chicago, you have a flower market…why don’t you go chat up some of the suppliers and see what happens?

I just tweeted Holly Chapple about this.  She’s a top floral designer and will know what’s going on with the peonies, if there’s a widespread problem.  It could be that Fifty Flowers’ source has a problem, but others don’t.

Post # 13
2742 posts
Sugar bee

As someone who was adamant about peonies for her floral arrangments, I feel your pain. I remember puting up this post and I got some nice alternatives. However, happily enough, I was able to get peonies for July 4th weekend which is about the tail end in Texas. If you are really set on them, don’t buy your flowers yet. Wait until nearer your date. Or pony up and get a florist who has contacts in a lot of places who can help you out. Good luck. I loved my flowers.

Post # 15
1200 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I wanted peonies too.. I’m getting 3 to hold… at $10 a stem… OUCH!

The topic ‘No Peonies for May 2012!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors