(Closed) No Seating Plan For 200+ Guests – Yay or Nay?

posted 4 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
3773 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 1999

Nay, It will be a cluster f*ck. Do your guests a favor and at least assign tables.

Post # 4
2665 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2014 - Italian Villa

@GMelanie:  to me, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Remember trying to figure out where to sit in a crowded lunchroom where you didn’t know anyone?  I’m just picturing a table of the leftover people who didn’t know others well enough to join their table. 

How about assigning tables but not specific seats? 

Post # 5
11284 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@GMelanie:  a seating plan is so worth the effort for everyone.  your guests will appreciate it b/c they won’t feel lost and you won’t feel bad when your guests are aimlessly walking around looking for a seat.

wedding wire has a great online tool for this.

Post # 6
Hostess
11177 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

If you are fine with chaos then go ahead without but it will be as the previous poster said a cluster f#%k. At the very least you need to assign people to a specific table.

Post # 7
7872 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@GMelanie:  Nay. The bigger the wedding, the more important a seating plan is. At least assign tables. Do you really want grandma stuck at the back table with FI’s frat buddies?

Post # 8
2305 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

nay, nay nay! Don’t do it.

At least do assigned tables. It’s worth taking the extra time. 

Post # 9
659 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I just went to a wedding about 6 months ago the same size and the bride (a friend of mine) refused to take the time to put together table assignments. Let me tell you – it was such a mess! Everyone was scrambling to get a table with the people they knew and saving seats – some people even were pulling chairs up to tables and moving the place settings! Needless to say, there were some tables overflowing and some tables with hardly any people – it just looked terrible.

Do you guests and your venue the favor of assigning tables. It’ll makes everything go much more smoothly when the doors open and it’s time to sit down for dinner.

Post # 10
10368 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Ditto everything everyone else said!

Post # 11
609 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Was at a wedding this past weekend that was around 150 and had open seating. I thought open seating was cute and fun until this wedding. It was an effing disaster. People were crazy snatching up multiple tables/chairs, etc. As a guest of a bigger wedding I would be really disappointed to see open seating again. 

Post # 12
405 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Nay, unless you have seating for 300. If you don’t assign people a table then they sit with the people they know, so a family if five might sit at a table that holds 8, which would leave 3 spaces that no one else would take. 

Even if you don’t want to do a full on seating chart, assign tables. 

Post # 13
7908 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

Just assign tables, not seats.

If you don’t assign tables, you need to provide a few extra tables, which means you’ll have to pay for the tables, the linens, the place settings, and the centerpieces. No thank you.

Post # 14
2955 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 1998

I think it will be a huge mistake not too. You should a least assign everyone a table to sit at that way you want have to bother with place cards!

Post # 15
1755 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I’d vote no.  No assigned tables means people ending up sitting with people they don’t know and have no common interest with.  No assigned seating means people leave a seat in between and people end up having to shift around for a couple or a couple ends up sitting apart.  I’m very pro-seating plan and am taking care that people are seated with people they know or would have a lot in common with.

Post # 16
9956 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

In the least assign Tables…

I’ve gone to social events (Fundraisers and the like) where tables aren’t assigned and the bigger the group the bigger the nightmare… and the disappointment.

Not to mention the “tacky” habit of folks tipping chairs etc, to show they are reserved for them.

Ack !!

The topic ‘No Seating Plan For 200+ Guests – Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors