(Closed) non-matching BM dresses

posted 7 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: Should the BM's all wear the same dress?
    Yes : (13 votes)
    20 %
    No : (26 votes)
    39 %
    No but the fabrics should match : (27 votes)
    41 %
  • Post # 17
    565 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - Pavilion at Rocky Neck State Park

In my opinion, you have to be careful with black because there are different shades of black. I am having all my bridesmaids wear one dress, one color. I like uniformity in the bridal party. The only time I would do a different color dress is for the maid of honor. However, our wedding colors are plum and ivory and my dress is ivory so my bridal party are all wearing plum.

Post # 19
    906 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

I like it when they coordinate color/material but have some reign on the cut of the dress. Unless all of your friends are fashion models you’re going to have to work to make the same style flatter everyone’s body type. The big stores allow you to choose a fabric/color and have lots of options on cut. I’ve seen some pretty ones at J. Crew as well. Not cheap, but I’ve re-worn the J. Crew bridesmaid dress I own to at least 3 other events after the wedding I bought it for.

God help me, I’m doing infinity dresses. Everyone will own the exact same dress in the same color, but will be encouraged to wear it to their liking. I’m ordering them now, 10 months in advance, to make sure everyone can handle the creative aspect of it.

Post # 20
    11231 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

I really dislike seeing every bridesmaid in the same dress. Sometimes it works, if everyone is the same body type or if the dress is extremely flattering, but typically, I just don’t feel like it’s fair to ask all of your bridesmaids to pay for a dress that you chose and probably won’t look that great. I much prefer the same fabric/color with different styles look.

Post # 21
    161 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I picked out ten Alfred Sung dresses that came in a specific fabric and color and that met other specifications (e.g., all being short) and then let each girl choose her dress. A couple are alterting the dresses a little further (e.g., taking the bow of a dress) as well. But I hope the end result is that each girl will be in a dress that fits her well, while still having a cohesive look.

Post # 22
    85 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

As much as the idea of having matching dresses is cute, my Bridesmaid or Best Man are so different in body types/height that there was absolutely no way that they could all pull off the same dress and be comfortable and happy with it. I want my girls to feel confident and happy with their looks, so instead I told them they had to pick a black dress that went to their knees. Hopefully they’ll get a dress that they love and will wear again!

Post # 23
    177 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Originally I wanted all the same dress on my girls with my Maid/Matron of Honor just a little different. When we went shopping it just wasn’t working. I have a size 2 to a 22 in my party. Try finding a dress to flatter both shapes. I let my girls pick their dress. My only rule was the same color and nothing floor length. It’s a spring wedding so I wanted spring dresses. Shoes, same issue. I have a girl that’s like 5’3 and a girl that’s like 6 foot who never wears heels because well she doesn’t have to so again I said silver shoes get what you are comfy in. I think you need to go shopping with the girls and see what looks good before you make any decision.

The topic ‘non-matching BM dresses’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors