(Closed) Unable to Share my Engagement :-(

posted 6 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
926 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

First, I’m sorry that this is upsetting you. I can see how not being able to tell everyone would be tough.

Second, congratulations!!! You’ll eventually be able to tell the world, it seems you’ll just have to wait longer.

Third, I’m SO confused.  Engagement isn’t a legally recognized status in the US, so I don’t understand how a) they can tell you not to agree to marry someone, and b) where you can and can’t do it.  I mean, if my Fiance and I were just sitting on the couch watching The Office, and he said “hey, you wanna get married,” and I said “sure,” then we’d be engaged, right?  

It may not be feasible, but are you working with an immigration lawyer to help you with these issues? I know nothing about US immigration, but I bet there are some bees who do…

Post # 5
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@kmsw:  I’m in the immigration process from Canada as well. I’m pretty sure you’re safe now and you’ll have to apply for an adjustment of status once you get married.

The only thing that will jack it up is if you knew your Fiance and were seriously dating him before you moved to the US. Then you’ll have to prove you didn’t try to commit fraud. (The fraud being using a student visa to enter the US and get married instead of its intended purpose).

visajourney.com is amazing. Their canadian section is awesome. They’ve also got a section for adjusting to Permanent Resident Status from work and student visas.

You’re in good company. If you do some solid research you’re probably better off without an immigration lawyer. All the info is online. We used a lawyer for my K-1 and it was a nightmare. I knew far more than the paralegal did. It would have gone much quicker had I just done it on my own.

Good luck, lady! Immigration is initimidating, but pretty straightforward.

Post # 6
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

I would like to know where you got that information. Your VISA status has nothing to do with your marital life at all. Even if you get married and don’t fill out the green card paperwork you can stay in the US under your student VISA for as long as it is valid.

I am in the same situation as you.

And yes, you CAN scream to the world that you are engaged.


Post # 8
11271 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

(shhhhh) congratulations.  (shhhhhh)

Post # 10
9954 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

As far as I know, a I-94 Visa is NOT the one issued by the USA to Canadians… Canadians generally don’t require a Visa to visit / be in the USA up to 6 months of the year.  (And the Education Visa for Canadians in the USA would be the F-1 Visa, not an I-94).

The I-94 Visa is the one that is issued for Tourists from a long list of countries that come to the USA for a visit not to exceed 90 Days / 3 months.

Is it possible that you are “overstaying” your welcome in the USA… or not being totally above-board here with your status in the USA / or here on WBee … because then YES leaving the country and trying to go back in under false pretenses would be a HUGE issue for you.

Especially if you are engaged and planning to marry a US Citizen…


The topic ‘Unable to Share my Engagement :-(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors