(Closed) Not circumcising – how did your family & friends react?

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

Guess my situation will be much easier if I have a boy, as my husband is Indian (they don’t circumcise) so we don’t have to worry about any comments from his side! lol My mom already knows and is in agreement that she thinks it is unnecessary (downplaying how she and I really feel about it) so I think all will be fine for us. I’m lucky that I was already against circumcision when I met my husband so we don’t have any issues and are both on the same page with it. Good luck and just stick to what you feel is best, despite naysayers. It is a personal decision, so your family and his should respect your decision!

Post # 4
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

We’re not circumcising Wombat if Wombat is a boy. It just seems unecessary as Jenn 23 said. As far as what people say, well, they’re going to say something about anything we do that they didn’t do or don’t agree with. Let them talk. We’ll raise our children how we want. If they don’t like it, they don’t have to be a part of our lives.

Post # 5
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

When I was pregnant no one had an opinion either way. Luckily I had a girl lol

Post # 6
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I think it’s cruel. I just think I won’t discuss it with people. Our choice. The end.

Post # 7
2821 posts
Sugar bee

We’re having a girl but if we have a boy ever we won’t circumcize.  I don’t think the topic comes up that much, or at least not among my family and friends.  If anyone did have anything to say I’d just be like ‘Why’s it weird?’, most people don’t seem to have a good answer to that.  They might think it’s dirty, which is easily countered and if they don’t believe you a quick google search should do the trick.  Or that they might get made fun of, but neither my husband or any of his brothers experienced this.   So really it comes down to what people are used to vs what their not, family and friends can adjust, I can’t see how it would affect their life.

Post # 8
858 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

We aren’t either if we have a boy. My husband isn’t, so he feels strongly about this, and honestly, I don’t see the point of it anyhow. I don’t know how my mom will react, but frankly, I don’t see how her opinion on the subject matters. I think she’ll be cool with whatever we decide anyway.

Post # 9
4354 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I always thought I would want to circumcise my (potential) son(s) because I’d never been with a guy who wasn’t so I thought it was the norm, but Fiance isn’t and he’s expressed that he doesn’t want it done if we have boys. Fine with me, but I told him it’s his job to teach them how to clean it and take care of it, definitely NOT my domain!

Haven’t had anyone else chime in on the topic though, maybe they will once I am pregnant.

Post # 11
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

@Jenn23: I actually had no idea that those who are Indian don’t circumcise! It totally makes sense now why my BFF didn’t circumcise her baby…her husband is also Indian! I didn’t ask b/c I figured it was their business whether or not they wanted to.

Post # 12
1645 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

It’s interesting that the trend has swung more toward not circumsizing in recent years. We chose to circumsize our son (health, cleanliness, lower STD rate and to be like his Dad) but we haven’t had anyone say anything either way. Our immediate families know since changing diapers was a process for those two days following, but no comments on whether we did it or not. No one has even mentioned it.

Post # 13
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

@2PeasinaPod: Well, I just realized I forgot that it is only the Hindus in India that don’t. The Muslims in India do circumcise. But the majority of Indians are Hindu…most Asian countries and European countries do not circumcise.

Post # 14
548 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I’m not having kids, but if I did, I would circumcise my child if I had a boy.

Post # 15
2821 posts
Sugar bee

@abbyful:  I guess I meant more from brief conversations we’ve had that I wouldn’t expect many people to comment on our decision.  My husband’s European (so he’s intact), which most people realize so perhaps people are more accepting of the idea of like father like son. I’ve never heard  negative comments in person about staying intact even amongst people I know are circumcized. 

Post # 16
3981 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

We are circumsizing. Mr. hedgie is jewish so a bris HAS to happen. But if he weren’t I am not sure what we would do. (Haven’t had to think about it) But I know that if the decision to not circumsize our boy were made that my family wouldn’t care. In the end what I do with my sons body is my choice so long as in the end I have a healthy boy.

The topic ‘Not circumcising – how did your family & friends react?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors