(Closed) Not getting married until 2012…but want to start planning now!!

posted 7 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
3126 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

First, I would figure out what is most important to you and your fiance so that you know where to dedicate the most money in your budget (photography, food, etc). Come up with a tentative guest list so you have an idea of how many people to plan for. My Fiance and I loved a venue that fit 300 people- not ideal for our 150 person guestlist. Firgure out a budget (I used the one on theknot. I hate the community but frequently use their tools). Also, you can start brainstorming colors and themes, and look online at dresses so you have an idea of what you like. Some brides also start trying gowns on at 1.5 years, but I would be hesitant to order one until closer to the year mark- you don’t want to have too much time for dress regret!

Happy Planning!

Post # 4
439 posts
Helper bee

My name is Leah, too!

Anyway, we’re not getting married until Sept 1, 2012, and I’m already far into the planning.  Take advantage of it.  Scope out sales, find deals.  I found our invites for $12 for 90 of them because I just happened upon them.  I already have my Bridesmaid or Best Man gifts half done.  I already bought my shoes.  I’m just hoping to spread the costs over two years so it’s not one big chunk of change at one time.  The one thing I’m holding off on is my dress.  I’ll buy my dress about 6 months before the wedding.

We’re doing a ton of DIY stuff, so I have plenty of time to get it done (just started table numbers this weekend).  I’m making more than enough because I have a Cricut, so even if there’s extra, they didn’t cost me much.  I’m buying frames at the dollar store and painting them white.

Post # 5
671 posts
Busy bee

Yay! I’m glad I am not the only bride planning! I am getting married on 7-7-12 and already have a venue and a perspective dress, have already named my bridal party and started our wedding website. I am having a destination wedding and plan on sending out save the dates about a year in advance and would like to have my wedding website printed on the save the dates and engagement pics up on the website. I feel the same way about taking advantage of the time! This way we will be less stressed and have less loose ends closer to the wedding and can enjoy it more. I first decided what kind of theme I wanted for my wedding ( contemporary ) which made it easier when I was looking for a venue because I knew the feel I was looking for already. A country home, though beautiful, wouldn’t be great with my ultra modern wedding. I would suggest you look for you venue as well as take engagement pics and start your website if you plan on sending out save the dates. You could also plan your engagement party if your itching to plan something and you will be able to enjoy it much much sooner! good luck!

Post # 6
2714 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Hey month twin! I am deff taking advantage of our long engagement. It’s kinda great actually because we don’t have to worry about falling in love with a vendor only to find out that they are already booked up on our date! Take your time and really research vendors, but if you find something you love don’t feel weird booking it just because your wedding is in 2012!

Set your budget/guest list. (We literally did this a week after getting engaged)

Right now we are getting ready to book our venue and our photographer/videographer.

Next up will be things like the DJ, officiant, etc.

Mostly though, I’m just gathering ideas of what our “look” will be for our wedding. Colors, themes, etc.

I do agree about holding off on a dress though. Feel free to try them on, but you should put off buying one for a while… You’ll be surprised by how many times you will change your mind! (I only know this from seeing it happen to so many other bees!)

Oh and I’m deff here to commiserate with you on the long wait!! 🙂

Post # 7
2714 posts
Sugar bee

@Karissa: Haha just saw your response. Deff agree on the engagement party. I picked out my bridal party like a month ago and we’re having our engagement party right after Thanksgiving!

Post # 8
569 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

@LeahKS: I feel your pain! I’m getting married in March 2012 but it’s like I can’t stop thinking about it already.

Definitely start looking at venues. I just booked mine last week and the catering manager at my venue told me how smart it was for me to plan ahead (not something that I typically do). Also, certain venues can really set the tone for your wedding. It’s really a lot easier to develop an image of what you want your wedding to look like after you’ve decided on the venue.

In the meantime, you can start cruising the wedding websites for cool ideas, color combinations, etc. After that you might start looking into vendors in your area. I’m not ready to start booking my bakery, florist, dj, or photographer quite yet, but I’m starting to research local vendors. So far I’ve got a file on local photographers whose styles appeal to me, so I can contact them as soon as I’m ready. I plan to do this for bakeries, djs, and florists in the next few weeks.

If you’re crafty like me, you might start planning out your DIY projects and buying supplies for them as soon as you know for sure you’re going ahead with the project. I definitely want a candy buffet, so I’m going to start picking up pretty glass containers whenever I happen to see some on sale. 

Honestly, focusing on each individual task has really taken the focus off of the long wait before the big day. Hope this helps you, too!

Post # 9
196 posts
Blushing bee

I’m getting married May 19, 2012, and I’ve planned almost everything. I haven’t bought anything yet, but part of me wants to SO bad.

I’ve got

• bridal party
  • bridesmaid dress picked out
  • color scheme
  • potential venue
  • 2 photographers
  • the guest list (tentative of course!)
  • some of the music
  • the flowers picked out
  • ideas for the favors

So you see, I’ve been deep in the planning and I’ve been engaged a little over a month. I personally don’t like having so much time on my hands, because it gives me way too much time to change my mind. As in, I went from no dancing to dancing, no favors to maybe favors might be ok, allowing some kids to no kids all in the course of a month. Haha. I’m very indecisive…

Anyway, the good part about it is that there are sales and things that you can take advantage of, which I plan to start taking advantage of soon, at least on the little things.

You’re also not as rushed to get things done, which is good. I work well under pressure but I like a little time to lay things out and look at all the possibilities.

You get to enjoy being engaged! This is what I keep hearing. It doesn’t help the waiting go by any faster, but it’s true. FH and I are all excited about the fact that we’re going to get married. And we’ll be stuck with each other. It seems to have brought a new phase of our relationship in. Like, once the just dating part had gotten kind of old, we got engaged. So now, we find time to go out a little more on dinner and movie dates. But, that’s just me.

Anyway, congrats on your upcoming wedding! I’m sure the time will pass by a lot faster than you (or I) think!

ETA: Oh yes, the engagement party. Those are always nice. I won’t be having one for various reasons, but my cousin is officially engaged and I get to plan hers. It takes a little of the antsy “I need to plan something” feeling away.

Post # 10
485 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I would say its definitely not too early to start planning…

– #1 think about your guest list… its makes a big difference (at least where I live) the amount of people youre having.  Venues around here dont really like to accommodate small weddings of less than 200… yes I know how ridiculous that sounds.. but thats the first thing besides a date that the vendor will ask you. 

– think about budget… Think about what youd like to spend…. Also youre guest list is going to come into play here… the more guests = more tables & Chairs, more centerpieces, food, favors, etc.

– if youre planning to save, think about how youre planning to do so… whats youre strategy for saving, how much you want to save (or spend eventually) 

– Check out bridal shows that might give you and idea of what vendors around you run like DJ packages, Photography, etc.  to help set up your budget…

-You also might want to book a photographer to do e-pics if thats something your interested in…

Best…

Post # 11
671 posts
Busy bee

@TinyTina: we ladies are so impatient! But its awesome! lol

Post # 12
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@McVerde: Yay, a month twin!

@LeahKS: I started planning right away, and withing 3 months of our engagement we’d paid deposits on the photographer, dj, reception venue, and booked our church/officiant. The benefit is I can plan around our theme that’s much easier to envision now that we have the places, etc. Also, I’ve locked in 2010 rates for a 2012 wedding, saving us $$ and some sanity, since we can spread the cost out over time. I’d recommend trying to get your rough guest list #s down, so you know what type of venue/budget you would need and can adjust from there. I do agree on waiting for dresses, as they may come out with something else you LOVE closer to your date. (However, if you find THE dress, keep your eye on it. I fell in love with one, but before I could try it on, it was discontinued). Lots of lead time also gives you plenty of time for DIY projects! 

Congrats on your engagement!! Enjoy all of it Smile

Post # 13
1676 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I’m July 7, 2012, and I’ve definitely got mine half planned. I saved a freaking BUNDLE by booking early – $900 on the photographer, $500 on the venue, 15% on food costs. Those are worth looking into early.

Post # 15
671 posts
Busy bee

@TinyTina:haha! parties are great for us plan crazy girls!

Post # 16
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

guest list, budget, venue, and photographer are good things to do early! start gathering inspiration anywhere and everywhere too. i would hold off on buying anything for a few months though, in case your vision changes over time.

The topic ‘Not getting married until 2012…but want to start planning now!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors