(Closed) Not Opening Gifts at Shower

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: As a guest, how would you feel if your gift wasn't opened.
    Hurt. I like to be thanked right then and there. : (94 votes)
    50 %
    Whatever. Showers are boring either way. : (31 votes)
    16 %
    Psyched. We don't have to sit through an hour of unwrapping presents? Thank goodness. : (54 votes)
    29 %
    Other, please explain. : (10 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 62
    115 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I’ve been to and thrown a few showers where gifts weren’t opened. In my social circle, this is only done at co-ed showers where there is another central activity. For example, one was at a really fancy restaurant with a close group of friends. We piled gifts in a gorgeous window and decorated a bit, but it was really a dinner party. Another was at a billiards club for a group of guys from work and their spouses. Drinking and shooting pool were the main objectives. Gifts were an afterthought.

At a more traditional shower, I agree that it is almost always going to offend someone. I hate that, because I am with you… I hate it. But it is what it is. Either go the traditional route or think outside the box.

Post # 63
    102 posts
    Blushing bee

If someone didn’t open my gift at the shower and I recieved a card in the mail, it still means the same. My gift isn’t to impress the other people at the shower.

Post # 64
    1282 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Hmm I think ive been to a shower where they did not open gifts and it really didnt bother me.  But I think it will depend on the vibe you create, and where it is.  If its open house and its actually at someones home then perhaps it would be assumed if its a laid back vibe with people in different rooms that it would be hard to have everyone gathered around in one room.  If its at a hall however I think people kind of expect to sit there and watch you open as their entertainment.  I really dreaded being the center of attention too but it really wasnt that bad.  I had two of my girls on either side of me and people were talking amongst themselves and makign jokes about this and that.  I commented on how I loved something or wanted this for that and it went really fast actually.  It is nice to thank everyone right away first, and women tend to kind of like to see all that stuff mostly.  I think ultimately it will depend on the vibe that is created at the shower, and if you arent opening presents, what else will the guests be doing. 

The topic ‘Not Opening Gifts at Shower’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors