(Closed) Novice (but very good) photog+ wants us to come up with what to pay her; $850?

posted 9 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 17
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think $850 plus accommodations is reasonable, and you would probably expect that to include touchups on just a few of your pictures.  As other posters have said, you could go up to $1,000 and that would still be pretty reasonable for a novice photographer.

However if she’s also designing your album, you should add another $300-400 onto that.  Also don’t forget to feed them dinner at the reception!

Post # 18
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

We got a prof photographer who is just starting out his business for @200 for two hours of photography. So I guess that came out to $100 per hr. But that included the DVD with 50 edited pics and 350 raw pics.

Post # 20
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Yes that helps!  If she’s not doing any digital retouching (like taking out red eye, etc) then basically all her work is about 7-8 hours plus equipment setup time.  In my area, $850 would be reasonable for a freelance professional photographer for that kind of work.  In NY that’s probably right on the money for a novice.

A word of caution:  make sure your photographer knows to work with your DJ to find out what events are happening when during the reception (cake cutting, toasts, first dance, etc) so she can be there ready to snap some shots.  Of what I’ve heard about novice photographers, one of the biggest complaints is that the photographer was nowhere to be found when the cake was cut, etc.  Knowing where to be and when, and timing your breaks accordingly, appears to be a learned skill in the wedding photography business.

Post # 21
4122 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

She will be driving around 5 hrs… each way (wear and tear + gas)

She will be paying her assistant (probably around $200 ish)

She will be shooting ALL DAY with you

She will spend probably 40-70 hrs editing, especially with 2 shooters for that long.

She will loose a portion of that to Taxes

—-

How much would you want your work to pay you to drive for 10 hrs and work for them for 10-14 work days?

If $850 is your number than there ya go. If not, take the above into consideration.

Post # 22
332 posts
Helper bee

I think thats fair. Our photographer is awsome and just starting out and she is charged us $800 for 6 hours & 2 photographers. Then she is charging $50 for a CD of the photos and rights to them to do what we want. Her prices have gone up since we booked her but only to $1,000 and this is after she has gained clients. I would say around $850 is perfect.

Post # 23
10363 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

If you had any idea what photography equipment cost, you’d be paying her at LEAST $1,000. When I shoot a wedding, I have something like $10,000 worth of equipment in my bag – not to mention the sophisticated comupter and expensive programs you need for the post processing (another $3,000). Also, some of the other posters are lowballing the amount of hours that post-processing takes. Uploading the photos alone takes about an hour and a half. Post processing is around 20 hours. Add that in with the actual shooting time, time spent talking and meeting with you, any overhead/business/advertising/website costs, and it’s really expensive to have good photography. I think you should, at minimum, give her $1,000 so that she isn’t losing money by shooting for you.

Post # 24
4122 posts
Honey bee

@Min: So if you were to add another 6-7 hrs of coverage and her driving 10 hrs for the wedding, would you still consider the same price as yours “fair?”

Post # 25
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I think people need to keep in mind that by allowing this novice photographer to do their wedding, the photographer is benefiting as well!  She will now have a wedding under her belt and pictures to add to her portfolio, which will make her business more desirable to new customers who might be looking for someone with experience.

I agree with the other posters that $850 – $1000 + accomodations is perfectly reasonable.  I had a novice photographer take my wedding photos for like $200, though they didn’t do ANY post-processing.  They just gave me the RAW photos.  It was a benefit to both of us – I got a budget-friendly photographer and he got wedding photos to put in his portfolio.  Because of my wedding, he was able to book other clients that he actually charged more for.

Post # 26
2820 posts
Sugar bee

We had a ‘friendor’ do our photography.  Novice but good.  We paid for travel expenses and he shot some at the rehearsal and the wedding (but did not have an assistant) and we paid him about $700.  However, we did some of the editing ourselves. 

Soooo…..I guess I think you might be a bit low if they do have an assistant.  Our $700 was a bit diff of a situation because we were paying for a flight (they wouldn’t have been able to come to the wedding but they wanted to and were going to make it work if we didn’t pay for it, so we worked out something that would be good for both of us, and he got to travel to a diff country and have a free place to stay and did only a bit of editing)

Post # 27
2775 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

When you’re trying to break into a business it’s pretty normal to do the work for at or below cost just to get experience and to get your name out there.  That doesn’t mean you should take advantage; however, if the OP wanted to pay Going Rate (whatever that may be in her area) for a professional photographer, presumably she would be hiring a professional and not a novice.

Whether $850 is reasonable, I can’t really answer without knowing the going rate for similar coverage from a professional photog in her area. 

Post # 28
2775 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

… For example, my sister’s photography package did not include enough hours to include getting-ready shots.  A family friend, who does portraits and is trying to break into weddings, offered to come to the bridal suite for ~2 hours for free to take pictures of us sipping champagne, getting dressed, etc.  Everybody has to start somewhere.

Post # 29
4122 posts
Honey bee

There’s a few key points I think are being missed. Especially for people saying that it’s appropriate and similar to theirs, but are receiving a lot less from a more raw photographer.

===

“she has shot one maybe two weddings before” She has wedding experience

“She has a friend that she uses as her assistant for various photoshoots” She does photoshoots with a steady assistant… 

they will be there for us the full day starting the morning of our wedding.” 12+ hrs easy

“We will get CDs of the digital photos after they complete the editing

“just as good as a professional with such a creative and beautiful vision that shows” (sounds like the OP likes her work more than more established pro’s)

“has developed a very eye-catching portfolio”

“They will drive down to MD from NY” That’s 5 hrs each way… 10+ hrs of driving total 

Post # 30
493 posts
Helper bee

I live in upstate NY and $800-1000 is what a professional photographer goes for around my area for similar services as the ones you mentioned (granted, you can find some around my area who are more “established” with pictures that have been published in famous magazines for upwards of $4000 for the sane services.. but you have to consider that your photog is a NOVICE).  This is my photog’s second or third year in the business (but has quite a few weddings under her belt) and she’s charging around $650 for the same services your photog is providing.  Whatever you do, don’t OVERpay for your photographer. 

The topic ‘Novice (but very good) photog+ wants us to come up with what to pay her; $850?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors