Post # 1
I know this one might be a no brainer but matt posted on my facebook about cheaper Cubic zirconia rings as engagement rings. Still looks lovely. What if he could ask you with the cheaper ring, if it came sooner, would you accept it? or, would you let him know you want the real deal? I’d love a genuine canadian diamond, even if it’s 0.3ct. But, couldn’t that money go toward something else? Just a thought, please, what are your thoughts?
Post # 3
Money can always go somewhere else. I’d actually get a Moissy instead of a CZ stone. I think diamonds are overpriced and don’t have as much fire as a Moissy!
Post # 4
@Alaric2012: to be honest, you’re going to get a mix of opinions. those who think money could go towards better things (which it can), and those who think you should wait to get a piece that you absolutely love, and you can pass on to future generations (which you can). You have to be happy with the final choice, and have to sort out what YOU would rather have
Post # 5
- Wedding: October 2014 - Restaurant
Get a moissy. They’re beautiful and a lot cheaper.
Post # 6
- Wedding: July 2017 - Bristol zoo
If I could only choose between the two I guess I’d go for CZ. But there are nicer clear gems out there (IMO) that might be more than a CZ but would be less than a diamond.
The one comment BF has made about my future Ering (which he won’t be buying or really thinking about any time soon) is that he doesn’t like diamonds, he wants me to have something with colour ^^ And to be honest I like colour more too (annnnd I like saving money lol) ^^
Post # 7
@crayfish: +1 I wish I had heard about moissy before choosing my ring, sometimes!
@Alaric2012: I’m with the others: moissy over CZ. Still a GREAT value 🙂 Keep in mind: as long as you love it and he proposes to you with it, it’s the ‘real deal’ 🙂
Post # 8
It’s going to be 100% preference. I knew I didnt want anything expensive, as I am prone to losing things, and I am not a jewelry girl that much. I told him specifically no diamonds too! So, i guess my opinion doesn’t help too much 🙂
Post # 9
Well I mean if you don’t want to wait longer, you could just get a CZ *for now* and upgrade to your forever ring when you guys have the funds for a diamond or whatever else you decide on wanting:). There are decent quality CZ rings out there for like $30ish, so maybe you wanna just get one of those or something else that is inexpensive until you guys save up for your dream ring whatever that may be. I actually have a really cute RHR that is a 3 stone using 2 white topaz and one blue topaz that was <$20 and easily looks like it could be an engagement ring. I got it at Kohls I think. Or you could get a moissanite so you have the durability and classy “look” of diamond but with a lower price tag. I want one instead of diamond because I won’t have to worry about ethical concerns ( I know Canadian diamonds are “ethical” as far as human impact, but mining the earth for jewelry still bugs me because there is still mining waste and habitat destruction, so I’d prefer a lab-created stone) and plus the history of moissanite is interesting.
Post # 10
- Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL
You could also get a better deal on a gemstone. My first ring featured a Ceylon sapphire and it was always a conversation starter.
Post # 11
Sure. The diamond can come later.
Post # 12
I agree with PP about moissy. I was kind of ‘meh’ on getting a diamond, I really don’t care about a center stone. I just wanted a specific setting. FI didn’t want me to have a CZ and originally wanted a diamond but I convinced him that moissanite would be a good option. I love it. I love it so, so much. I don’t have my ring on my finger yet, but I stared at my center stone every day before he took it to get it set.
I don’t hate diamonds at all, and if that is what you want eventually, personally I think you should hold out for what you want in the end. IMO, I wanted a ring that I wouldn’t have to upgrade later in life which is why I chose to wait longer for my setting. I would die happy with moissy on my finger.
Post # 13
I think it has to do with preference – if I were going to go with a clear stone, there’s nothing I would want besides a diamond, but I’d be fine with a plain silver band or some other kind of gemstone. I definitely wouldn’t wait for a stone, unless it is important to your SO that he buy you a diamond.
Post # 14
@Alaric2012: I would wait for a diamond, that is what my SO and I are doing. I don’t want anything bigger than .33 of a carat, but would like a diamond so that I know it will be good quality and last for a long, long time! I think diamonds are special and not something you would buy for yourself unless it’s a very rare occasion.
Post # 15
I don’t wear jewellry but i’ll wear engagement and wedding rings. I’ll definitely take the CZ… I’m not picky. I would not like to put off committing myself to my guy for a paticular stone in a ring.
Post # 16
I would wait for a diamond, dont get me wrong id go to the courthouse TODAY and get hitched with no ring at all, or just a band to show that im married. That being said if what you really want is to get a diamond BUT you are just getting antsy and want the engegement and would settle for something you dont really want to move it along, then wait it out. Thats what the bee is for 🙂