(Closed) NWR: Advice needed re: type of doctor to see

posted 6 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
3692 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I’m pretty sure an internist can do it.

Post # 4
5400 posts
Bee Keeper

Most will, but depending on what kind of practice you go to, they may want you to see an obgyn. If you go to a clinic with multiple doctors someone from the obgyn department may just write a refill for you until August. 

Post # 5
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I agree that a lot of docs will but I would make sure that the doctor knows what they are doing, don’t want to go through a pap and find out that they scraped the wrong area or something!

Post # 7
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@JeniRae: I’d just call in and explain that your gyn has now left the practice and you need to get in for your yearly physical and a BC Rx renewal. If it’s the same practice that your gyn left, they could even give you a little ‘refill/extender RX’ until you get in for your apt if your script is set to expire before your apointment.

FWIW, around here, general practitioners in family medicine do a lot of the well women exams, as do Nurse Practitioners. All of my BC scripts came from NPs that performed my paps/exams. The only time we see an ob/gyn is when there is a special health reason or a pregnancy. As long as you make known that whoever you meet with will need to renew your prescription, they should hook you up with the qualified med personnel. 

Post # 8
3771 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 1999

Internal med or family practice can do your exam. My family practice doctor also does GYN so he sees us for everything from rountine checkups to deliverying my girls.

Post # 10
1185 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Yes. Every general practicioner’s office I have been to would prefer you do all of your wellness types of exams with them, including healthy pregnancy.  You really only need a GYN or OB if you require a specialist. 

Post # 11
452 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I would just call the office you’re planning on going to and check to see if they do it just to be sure they’re doing it.  If they don’t routinely do this they may not have the supplies or time scheduled into your visit to perform such an exam.  Idk how other places are but all internists I’ve ever seen don’t do GYN issues, except UTI stuff.

The topic ‘NWR: Advice needed re: type of doctor to see’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors