(Closed) NWR: Changing state residency… AND changing your last name

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
176 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012


This is the basic information for what you need for a license in Florida. 

1 Form of each

– ID (Birth certificate or Passport)

– SS (So yes you have to get the new one before you go, I don’t think it matters which state you get it in but you will need your birth certificate and they mail it to you so it takes a couple days to get it back)

– Certified Copy of Marriage License/Certificate (since your Birth certificate or passport will be in the wrong name)

2 Forms of Proof of residence

– It must be a physical address.  You can use renter agreement, utility bill, vehicle registration


You can also go to this interactive website and type in what you have and it tells you what you need. 



In Florida you can schedule an appointment at a lot of the DMV’s (no waiting in line is a plus).  You can do a google search of your city’s DMV and see if they do.   




Post # 4
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

Definitely check out the DMV info for your state – I just did this last year and I did NOT have to retake the test. But definitely get your social changed over first. The DMV will want to see that.

The topic ‘NWR: Changing state residency… AND changing your last name’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors