Post # 1
So I’m graduating with my bachelor’s in five weeks and thought I would have life more figured out by now! I’ve been on the waitlist to two graduate programs from about a month now. Yesterday I was accepted to one! Awesome. But it’s the expensive one, about 30 minutes + downtown traffic, in the middle of the city and not the greatest area. I would also have to start this summer working in the clinic and a few classes, which would be fine but I’ll be gone for 1.5 weeks with the wedding and honeymoon at the start of June. I have to decide by April 15th! I won’t hear back from the other program (10 mins away, smaller school, half the price, good area, etc) until after the April 15th deadline. It’s a less competitive school which makes me think I could get into that one if I got into the other but they could be looking for different things. This one has an optional summer start, I have friends in the program there, wouldn’t have to take out loans, etc. But if I don’t get in, then the first program is my only chance and I need a master’s to be certified in the field. Everyone is telling me to accept the first program and if I get into the second just withdraw from the first. I feel bad about doing that but I guess it’s my only option? Kinda just a vent and seeing if anyone has any advice as to if that’s the right move. Thanks!
Post # 2
- Wedding: March 2014 - A castle
MrsN14: I thought April 15th was decision day for pretty much everyone. I’d say that, unfortunately, if you haven’t heard from the other school yet and decision day is less than a week away I wouldn’t bank on that one.
What kind of program are you going for?
To figure out if it’s worth it – the total amount of your student loans should not exceed what you would expect to make in your first year’s salary. So if you have $60k of student loans, your job should pay around $60k/year starting off.
Post # 3
FutureDrAtkins: It is. Most schools wait until after the deadline for people to accept/decline then they go through the waitlist and send acceptances to those people. It’s speech pathology. The expensive program is $20K a year, we would pay half so $20K total for the program and starting salary in the area is about $60K so it’d be worth it I just hate the thought of having a loan lol but I know i need to suck it up!
Post # 4
Definitely accept at the one school and then back out if you get into the second one. From what I’ve seen, the schools don’t mind too much if you back out. Your deposit is typically non-refundable though.
I’m going for the same degree as you and it’s going to cost me around $45k, most of which I will be taking out in loans. I don’t have loans from undergrad and honestly I’m sort of afraid of them. I just keep reminding myself that SLPs are in demand and that my salary will be enough to pay it back.
Post # 5
futuremrsslp: That’s good. And there’s no deposit so that’s a plus. The expensive program will be about $40-45K as well and we’d take out half in loans which does scare me! But I guess they aren’t due until after graduation anyway when I have a job so it won’t be the worst thing. I emailed the other program just to see if I could find anything out but haven’t heard back so I’ll likely accept the one tomorrow! Exciting but nerve wrecking as well!
Post # 6
futuremrsslp: “From what I’ve seen, the schools don’t mind too much if you back out.”
Just to clarify, this isn’t all schools in every field (in case some other person finds this post and assumes it’s ok to take a slot and then turn it down later). I know in my field (a relatively obscure part of science), it’s a huge no-no. Sure, everyone is “understanding,” they totally “get it,” but you’ve basically got a little black mark by your name for life. Want to apply to a postdoc or faculty position there later? Don’t even bother applying. Why would they offer it to you if you committed and then turned them down? You could end up doing the same thing for the job, and they do not appreciate wasting time in a job search.
This may not apply to this school. But proceed with caution. I’ve seen a few people get burned doing the same thing.
Post # 7
MrsN14: I agree, it’s exciting and nerve racking! But it will all work out.
Apple_Blossom: That’s true. I was speaking as someone in the same field as the OP. I work closely with the graduate program director for a college that is well known for SLP and she told me that it is fine. It is definitely field specific!